Saturday, January 30, 2010

Review: The Kings of Clonmel by John Flanagan

The Kings of Clonmel
Author: John Flanagan
Publication: Random House; 1ST edition (2008) (US Edition is scheduled for May 18, 2010)

Product Description from the back cover: The Outsiders have returned to cause havoc. Who will stand in their path? Will is at the annual Ranger Gathering but Halt is investigating mysterious happenings in the west. When he does finally return it's with bad news, Hibernia is in turmoil. A false religious cult calling themselves the Outsiders are sowing confusion and sedition, and five of the six Hibernian Kingdoms have been undermined. Now the sixth, Clonmel, is in danger. Halt, Will and Horace set out to restore order. Can the secrets of Halt's past help them in their mission?

My Thoughts: This was an excellent addition to the series. It is wonderful to see the relationship growing between Halt, Will and Horace. Now that the boys are young men the comraderie is that of equals and not so much teacher and student.

This episode gives us a lot of new information about Halt that I don't want to share for fear of spoilers. However, I will say that there were moments of laughter and many moments of edge of the chair suspense in this one as our three heroes match wits with Tennyson, the leader of the religious cult.

The only thing I have to say negatively about this book is that I miss the further involvement of Alyss, Lady Pauline, and Cassandra. I am also very glad that I have book 9 waiting because, while this book comes to a satisfying resolution, the problem has been completely solved and our heroes are off to try to finish the matter.

This website will give you more information about John Flanagan and the Ranger's Apprentice series including videos and contests.

Challenges: 2010 In the Middle Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!