Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Boys, Bears and a Serious Pair of Hiking Boots


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme started by Jill at Breaking the Spine. It is a chance to talk about a book that we are anxiously awaiting. Post your link in the comments at Breaking the Spine and see what others are waiting for.



Bears, Boys and a Serious Pair of Hiking Boots
Author: Abby McDonald
Publication: Candlewick Press, April 2010

Back Jacket Copy: Seventeen-year-old Jenna may hail from the 'burbs of New Jersey, but environmental activism is her life. So when the opportunity arises to spend the summer in the wilds of Canada with her hippiegodmother, Susie, this Green Teen jumps at the chance to explore this nature she's heard so much about--and the cute plaid-wearing boys she's certain roam wild and free. But after a few unpleasant run-ins with local wildlife (from a larger-than-life moose to Susie's sullen Goth stepdaughter, Fiona, to a hot but hostile boy named Reeve), Jenna realizes that her long-held ideals, like vegetarianism and conservation, don't play so well with this population of real outdoorsmen. With the help of a dusty survival guide, Jenna begins to navigate the wilderness, and those who call it home--but can she learn to navigate the surprising turns of her heart?

Sure to delight fans of Sarah Dessen, Meg Cabot, and E. Lockhart, this book is a breezy, compulsive read with unexpected substance--exactly what you'd expect from the enormously talent Abby McDonald.

I got this one as part of the Early Reviewer program at LibraryThing. It is well outside my usual kind of book. I admit I'd like to see a werewolf or two. But I hope it lives up to the jacket blurb.



2 comments:

  1. This book looks really cute! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the title on this book. it sounds like a cute, quick read too. hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!