Saturday, March 27, 2010

In My Mailbox (March 28, 2010)

The weekly In My Mailbox post is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It is fun to see what everyone else gets in their mailboxes, shopping bags, and library visits. Click on the link to The Story Siren's site to see the rules and join in the fun.


I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the cool books everyone gets. You will discover lots of wonderful blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without.

I had a pretty empty mailbox until Saturday this week but I got what I hope is quality rather than quantity. I received three new books by 2010 YA Debut Authors so that I can work on that challenge.




Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken -- This sounded like an interesting fantasy and I love the cover.

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder was chosen because I love her Poison and Magic series books. This one sounds a little more dystopian than I usually like but Maria's name made me choose it anyway.

Mistwood by Leah Cypess -- I won this ARC in a contest and was wonderfully surprised when it came. This one also sounds like it will be an interesting fantasy in the tradition of Graceling.

These books arrived on Saturday.




A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner is the next in the Attolia series that began with The Thief.

A Wizard of Mars by Diane Duane is the next in the series that began with So You Want to Be a Wizard.

I also got a couple of books that are reference or professional materials.



Read, Remember, Recommend for Teens has some contributions by some of the bloggers I follow and has excellent list of blogs by teens and lists of award winning books. I don't think I'll use it as a journal but it will definitely be used as a resource.

The Socially Networked Classroom: Teaching in the New Media Age by William Kist will also provide me with some good information to use with my students.

The title links go to Amazon where you can read a more complete description of each title. The author's names are linked to their websites.

This is what make it to my mailbox this week. What made it to yours?

 

9 comments:

  1. Brightly Woven has had some great reviews, I hope you like it! Thank's for blogging about William Kist's book it looks really interesting. There isn't a lot out there on bringing media into the classroom. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Inside Out! It's awesome! I'll be posting my review probably tomorrow :)
    For now though, here's my In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inside Out looks pretty good, cannot wait to read it.

    Check out my mailbox for the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I found your site through the Book Hop. It's always nice to get recommendations and reviews about YA-it's a constant challenge to find fun and exciting books for teens that don't cross the line with sex and language. Do you struggle with this issue also?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My High School Media Center serves students from grades 6-12 (ages 11-18) in a relatively conservative community. I have to be concerned about the amount of sex and the language usage in the books I pick. Luckily, there are so many wonderful books that don't push the boundaries of my community. Also, most of my students have known me since they were in kindergarten and have learned to trust me when I say they will like the book better if they wait until they are older before they read it. I am actually lucky that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard awesome things about Brightly Woven. Will have to get my own hands on it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brightly Woven & Mistwood look intriguing. Inside Out' Author Maria V. Snyder is a really good author. So I hope you enjoy all your reads, Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brightly Woven, Inside Out, and Mistwood all look so good! I can't wait to read them. Enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!