Monday, March 29, 2010

Musing Monday (March 29)


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about multitasking.
 
Do you – or are you even able – to do other things while you read? Do you knit, hold a conversation, keep an eye on the TV? Anything?
 
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post at Just One More Page, or share your opinion in a comment there (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks!
 
This is a difficult topic for me because it depends on the situation and what I am reading.
 
I generally prefer it to be quiet and distraction-free when I read. Depending on how absorbing the book is, I may read without breaks or put the book down frequently to do other things (like laundry or blogging).

If there is something I want to watch on television, I will have the TV on and a book in my hands. I can read during slow moments or commercials. The baseball season is coming. I often read while watching baseball games. I haven't figured out how to do any handicrafts while reading because my hands are already busy with my book.

I am not a good multitasker. If I am reading something that requires concentration, like books I read for work, I can't have any sounds or people around me. I don't understand how my students can study while listening to their iPods. The music would destroy my concentration. Nor do I understand how people can read when surrounded by a busy environment like a coffee shop or a Mall. I spend too much time people watching to really get into my book. (Either that or I'm paranoid and don't want to let anyone sneak up on me.)

Can you multitask? 
 

1 comment:

  1. I think I used to be able to multitask better, but my goodness, now it is tough. I like quiet mostly when reading, but I can have the TV in the background. I have a hard time moving from TV to book to TV though. Music is OK, but really I just prefer quiet.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!