Friday, March 26, 2010

Review: The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

The Body Finder
Author: Kimberly Derting
Publication: HarperCollins; 1 edition (March 16, 2010)

Description: Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies-or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers. Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him. Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer-and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

My Thoughts: I found this to be a very enjoyable read. I thought Violet was an interesting and realistic character. I could completely understand her confusion as her feelings for her best friend are changing from buddies to boyfriend-girlfriend. Jay Heaton is a great character too. He is protective, someone she can always talk to, and he knows her secret. It is also fun to see that he has become a hunk and is attracting all the most popular girls at school. He seems to Violet to almost be oblivious to his new popularity. But we see later that he is aware but just doesn't care because he really cares for Violet. Violet's ability is well-described. Being able to feel the echoes left behind by things that die and seeing the imprint on the predators is an ability that I hadn't ever considered and is a new paranormal ability to me. It was interesting to also have sections from the predators point of view. The predator in the story was a bit of an unexpected twist.

I think this book will appeal to both fans of romance and fans of mystery/suspense types of books. I expect it to do well in the HS Media Center. I just have one question -- Can someone explain the book cover to me? While pretty, I just don't see what it has to do with the story.




Challenges: 2010 YA Debut Author Challenge, 2010 YA Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge


 

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed The Body Finder. It was my favorite read so far this year. I hope the students enjoy it as well! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Can by to follow you from the book blogger hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Kelley here, visiting via the blog hop. I look forward to seeing what another teacher has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Though the cover is nice, I don't think it's supposed to have a meaning behind it. I'm not totally sure, but I think I remember reading that in a review or an interview a while ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read this book becuase it sounds so good. Great review! I also really love the cover and the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for this book and glad to hear its living up to expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The body finder has been on my wish list for awhile! Maybe the easter bunny will deliver a copy?? Found your blog on the hop. Hop on over to mine and check out my cool giveawy http://mugofmoxie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought that one because I thought it sounded good. Glad you review helped confirm that. Have you seen the trailer? Really well done. I showed it to my students and they were very interested.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!