Thursday, May 13, 2010

Friday Memes: The Season by Sarah MacLean

Happy Friday everybody!!

 
Book Beginnings

 
Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

I need to share the first three sentences to give a clear picture of what is going on. The first sentence would have been needlessly startling.
"Oof! I've been stabbed."
The Duchess of Worthington did not look up from her needlepoint. "Perhaps that will teach you not to fidget while at the hands of your dressmaker."

 
The Friday 56

 
Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Storytime with Tonya and Friends.
  • Post a link along with your post back to Storytime with Tonya and Friends.
  • Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.
"Indeed. He arrived wearing trousers instead of knee breetches."

Both groups of sentences are from The Season by Sarah MacLean. This is a Regency romance with some suspense designed for young adults. 
 
I have read a lot of Regency romances written for adult. So far this one hasn't been different. I like the main character. Alexandra is the daughter of a Duke. She is 17 and making her debut in high society. She is not interested in marriage but her mother would like her to be married. Actually, her mother would like a wedding and Alexandra's three older brothers haven't been willing to oblige.
 
There is also a mystery about whether the boy next door's father's death was really an accident. The boy next door happens to now be the Earl of Blackmoor and he has grown up quite nicely - which Alexandra is now noticing.
 
This is a fun book and a good introduction to the Regency genre.

 

 
\

8 comments:

  1. I don't know what it is, but I don't like opening lines that start with conversation in it. Is that strange? I don't know why I don't like them, I just don't. Weird.

    I hope that you are enjoying the book though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a rather startling opener!

    Here's mine:

    http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/book-beginnings-on-friday-4/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Season. I'm glad you like it. I haven't read any of her books for adults but I hope she writes more YA regency romance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great opening sentence! I haven't read this one, it's on my tbr list, but I've read the 2nd book by Sarah MacLean & I loved it! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA! Trousers...Sounds like it might be a good read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite interesting! And I love the opening sentences above! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how I've missed this opening lines meme, but I'm going to have to start it this week. I love first lines, and I don't have a Friday meme yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    Sounds like it could be a little scandalous. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2010/05/friday-56.html

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!