Saturday, May 1, 2010

In My Mailbox (May 2, 2010)

The weekly In My Mailbox post is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It is fun to see what everyone else gets in their mailboxes, shopping bags, and library visits. Click on the link to The Story Siren's site to see the rules and join in the fun.

I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the cool books everyone gets. You will discover lots of wonderful blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without.

I am trying not to buy so much and to catch up on my TBR stacks. I would have done better had I not attended two conferences about children's and young adult books a week ago.

A Place for Delta by Melissa Walker was sent to me for review. I have read it and the review is ready to go. I was asked to publish it the last week in May.

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev got good reviews when it came out in hardcover earlier. I decided to wait for the paperback to add the book to my personal collection.

Burned by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast was pre-ordered months ago. I was excited to see that the publication date has finally arrived. I'm looking forward to reading this one before donating it to my HS Media Center.



I also did some shopping while I was at the Spotlight on Books Conference. I purchased Abercrombie Trail by Candace Simar. She is a Minnesota author writing about a Minnesota historical event that I have never heard about. This will be a nice addition to the historical fiction collection at the HS Media Center.

Ben Mikaelsen was one of the main speakers at the conference. I added Touching Spirit Bear and Ghost of Spirit Bear to my TBR Stack. These will also be donated to the HS Media Center after I finish reading them.

Henry Cole also spoke at the conference. While he is better known as the illustrator of a number of picture books, he has also written and illustrated some books. A Nest for Celeste is a lovely book for my upper elementary students. I look forward to donating it to the Elementary Media Center when I finish poring over the great illustrations and reading the story.
 
That was my week. What did you get this week?
 

9 comments:

  1. I'm trying to continue on the same less buying thing as you are. Last I checked my actually copy of my TBR list is at about 75 and my mental one well... we don't want to count that!

    Anyway, just started the House of Night Series and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eyes Like Stars and Touching Spirit Bear both sound really good. It is really nice that you donate your books to the Media Center so the students can read them too. I was always thankful for the teachers that donated books to the classroom so we could read them. I read some really great books that way like The Hero and the Crown and a lot of Agatha Christie mysteries.

    I hope you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those books sound good. Hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice books!Thought seeing Burned is in everyone's mailbox this week, I'm starting to believe I'm the only one who doesn't like the House Of Night series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right! My TBR and wishlist has definitely grown since I started to follow In My Mailbox. And it's not an easy job reducing the TBR pile. :)

    Oooh you have Burned too and Eyes Like Stars - both books I want to read. Well, I actually haven't read the earlier books in the House of Night series but looking forward to get copies of those books!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. :) You have two blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got some great books there, hope you're enjoying Burned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome books. I got Eyes Like Stars too! And I can't wait for Burned to arrive. Hope you enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great books- I got Burned as well. That series is definitely my guilty pleasure. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really looking forward to reading 'Eyes Like Stars'! The plot looks interesting, and the cover is just beautiful. I've never been a huge fan of the 'House of Night' series; I read the first few books and then just couldn't believe the protagonist's morals. :S
    Good luck on getting the TBR list down :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!