Saturday, May 8, 2010

In My Mailbox (May 9, 2010)

The weekly In My Mailbox post is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It is fun to see what everyone else gets in their mailboxes, shopping bags, and library visits. Click on the link to The Story Siren's site to see the rules and join in the fun.

I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the cool books everyone gets. You will discover lots of wonderful blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without.

This is what found its way to my mailbox this week.




I have been fascinated with the descriptions that I have read about Wereling by Steve Feasey. When I found out that there were already 3 books in the series in the UK I made my way to the Book Depository and bought them. They were a bit delayed in reaching me because of the volcanic eruption but arrived this week. I really like the nice shiny covers and am eager to start this series. Have I mentioned how much I like books about werewolves?


These three are also books that I have heard so many good things about on the blogs I read. I liked Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side. So Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey got on my buy list as soon as I heard about it.

I hadn't heard of Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia until recently. Everything I have heard makes it sound very good.

Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready is the first YA by an author whose urban fantasy I already read and enjoy. I am also looking forward to this one. It was fit into the YA Debut Author Challenge.


The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan is the start of a new series. I like both The Lightning Thief and the 39 Clues books. This one should attract the same middle grade readers as the other two series.

Alex Van Helsing: Vampire Rising by Jason Henderson also sounded good and should be good for that same audience.

I have heard good things about Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon. I had a chance to buy a hardcover from Amazon Marketplace and decided to try this fantasy.

I am a Holly Black fan. So White Cat appealed to me. I have been avoiding the reviews because I want to read the book without having any preconceptions. I like the cover. I hope the contents lives up to it.

I also added a couple of titles to my Kindle.

 
Both books by Leanna Renee Hieber have intriguing titles. The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker and The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker both sound good. The descriptions at Amazon bring to mind Soulless by Gail Carriger which is one of my recent favorite adult paranormal books.
 
I also signed up for NetGalley this week and chose my first three books. I chose The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa, The Mermaid's Mirror by L. K. Madigan, and Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton.
 
I was hoping to read these on my Kindle but I don't like how the PDFs look. So I will be reading them on my laptop using Adobe Digital Edtions. I am really looking forward to The Iron Daughter because I liked The Iron King.

None of these books are being published until later this summer or into the Fall. When do you like to see reviews for books that are that far away from you local bookstore?
 

16 comments:

  1. I read Wereling and REALLY liked it. Good one for the boys. I've got to get The Red Pyramid. I had it in my hand, but I had to get these other two books so I put it back. My daughter was mad when she found out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely have similar interests. I got Shade and The Red Pyramid this week too, and I love the look of the Changling books and I really really want to read Tyger Tyger, and the Iron Daughter, and The Mermaid Mirror. Great week with fantastic books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some fantastic books to read! I loved Silver Phoenix. Shade and The Red Pyramid are both books I am really looking forward to reading too. NetGalley is a neat program. I am going to be reading The Iron Daughter soon. I may write the review and then post it in July. It is harder since it is the second book in a series and I may not be able to describe it very much without giving things away.

    I hope you enjoy your books. I'll be looking forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Red Pyramid is really going out at my library already. I still need to read it myself. What a great group of books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your books look awesome! I loved Tyger Tyger and almost everything else you is on my tbr list. I like seeing early reviews so I can add the books to my want list (and I find my readers do too). A lot of the time I start to ignore certain books when I see heaps of reviews for it at the same time.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my!!

    I am so jealous! I cant wait for The Iron Daughter to come out!=)

    As for Leanna Renee Hieber- I should be getting Book 2 soon from Goodreads!

    You have some amazing titles!=) If you have any time come on over to my IMM post! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Steve Feasy covers are fantastic. Shade looks great, and I can't wait to get my hands on White Cat. Great IMM this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got a bunch of great books this week. I loved Shade so hope you do too. Netgalley really does have some awesome books. Happy Reading :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. We got The Red Pyramid too -- I hope my son and I enjoy it as much as I think we will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome books this week! I really want to read Shade and Angel Star. I'll keep my eye out for your reviews. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to hear about books that are not out yet, because I enjoy looking forward to book releases. I sometimes will preorder a book if a review sounds promising. You have a lot of reading to do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, AMAZING books! I can't wait for Angel Star and The Iron Daughter! As for when I like to see reviews, I like to see them before books come out too to either build up my excitement or kill it, though sometimes publishers/authors like to see them around release time. Happy reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the cover of White Cat!

    Like Mrs. DeRaps, I also enjoy hearing about books that aren't out yet. I'm a librarian-in-training, and I work the reference desk, so it's nice from a readers advisory standpoint to know what new books might be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They all look like interesting books! I have 4 of the same books you got. I'm reading Tyger Tyger (& Eyes Like Stars) right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun stuff! I should be getting the new Riordan in the mail very soon as well. So exciting.

    BTW: I found you through the Blog Hop (even though your URL was messed up on the list - it reads blogspto instead of blogspot). Anyway, glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Iron Daughter was awesome! I want to read Shade really bad as well as so many others you have listed. I have The Mermaids Mirror on my computer. I really need to get to it. I've been thinking about getting Tyger Tyger. I'll have to get through some of the other ebooks first though. What a fantastic selection of books though!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!