Thursday, May 27, 2010

New TBRs from NetGalley

I was browsing around NetGalley the other day to find some interesting books to read. I chose these even though my TBR shelves are filled to bursting.
 
 

The Oracle of Dating by Allison van Diepen (May 1, 2010)
For five bucks, the Oracle of Dating will tell you:
* How to flirt
* If that cute guy you're crushing on likes you, too
* Whether your new romance will last through lunch period
* And much more

What she won't tell you? Who she is.

No one at Kayla's school knows she's the famous Oracle of Dating— the anonymous queen of dating advice. She doesn't even have a boyfriend. Two relationship disasters were enough to make Kayla focus on everyone else's love life.

But then her advice backfires on her own best friend. And Kayla starts to seriously obsess about Jared Stewart—the very cute, very mysterious new guy in school. Suddenly, the teen queen of advice needs her own oracle of dating—and she knows just where to find one….

The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall by Mary Downing Hahn (Sept. 6, 2010)
When twelve-year-old Florence boards the crowded horse-drawn coach in London, she looks forward to a new life with her great uncle and aunt at Crutchfield Hall, an old manor house in the English countryside. Anything will be better, she thinks, than the grim London orphanage where she has lived since her parents' death.


But Florence doesn't expect the ghost of her cousin Sophia, who haunts the cavernous rooms and dimly lit hallways of Crutchfield and concocts a plan to use Florence to help her achieve her murderous goals. Will Florence be able to convince the others in the household of the imminent danger and stop Sophia before it's too late?

Mainfest (Kimani Tru) by Artist Arthur (August 1, 2010)
Krystal Bentley is an outsider at her new high school, having just moved to a small Connecticut town. Lately she's been hearing the voice of a teenage boy in her head, and he has become her friend and confidant. The only problem is, he's dead...

Ricky Watson was killed a year ago in the alley behind Krystal's new school. The rumor mill is filled with stories of Ricky and his untimely death. Unfortunately, as a ghost, Ricky is unable to investigate his own murder, so Ricky needs Krystal to find the truth and she needs someone to listen. When Krystal befriends Sasha and Jake, both outcasts at her high school, the threesome soon discover that they have more in common than their outsider status. Each has a unique paranormal ability and an unusual birthmark in the shape of an "M." Jake announces that the M must stand for misfits, and so the three form an unusual clique. They soon realize that solving Ricky's murder can help them understand the mystery behind their powers and may reveal whether there are others like them.

Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch by Douglas Rees (July 1, 2010)
Kestrel (don't call her Susan) Murphy is angry. Forced to leave her posh San Francisco Bay Area home by her father's illness, she's living in Jurupa (sounds like vomiting), Southern California. It's too hot. The people are stupid. And you have to chew the air to get the oxygen out of it. On the plus side, Kestrel is a witch. Well, a witch-in-training. And she's going acquire the magic she needs to get her life back to normal. At first, she barely notices the people around her-Aunt Ariel, who's taken her in and is herself a well-known white witch; Jose Iturrigaray, the quiet, talented young artist; Blake Cump, troublemaker extraordinaire; Laura Greenwood, who wants to be Kestrel's friend. But life has its own magic, and gradually Kestrel finds that much of one's success as a witch lies in being open to it.
These books are on my "read as soon as vacation starts" list because I can only keep them for 60 days. Well, 58 and counting from today.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed The Oracle of Dating. I haven't read the others but I did request Manifest. I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I usually request the books but don't download them till I think I am ready to read them. I actually ran out of time on Maria V. Snyder's Inside Out just when the story was getting interesting.

    I hope you'll enjoy your new downloads! My mom is a teacher and she is eagerly counting down the last few days till summer vacation. I am sure you are too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices! NetGalley is a very dangerous place for me, as I can't resist their tempting offers. *L*

    Enjoy your new eBooks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Net Galley espcially since I can put them on my Nook :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!