Thursday, May 6, 2010

Review: The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief
Author: Megan Whalen Turner
Publication: Greenwillow Books (December 27, 2005)
 
Description: "I can steal anything."

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.
 
My Thoughts: This was an interesting and complex story told from the viewpoint of Gen. The magus thinks that Gen is just a thief from the gutters of Sounis and pulls him out of prison to go with him as a tool to steal a powerful artifact for the king. Much of the trip deals with the journey searching for the treasure. We learn about the world and the myths of the world as Gen and the Magus take turns telling stories around the campfire at night.
 
The story move at a leisurely pace as they travel across Sounis, Eddis, and Attolia with Gen complaining most of the way. Gen is sarcastic, quick-tempered and heroic in his own way. This book isn't for the adventure junkie but rather for someone who has the patience to wait for the surprise ending.

Challenges: Flashback Challenge, E-Book Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge
 

1 comment:

  1. Love your comment about it not being "for the adventure junkie, but for rather someone who has the patience to wait for the surprise ending." That is a great description. I think I usually am an adventure junky, but I can be patient too, so I will have to check this one out. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!