Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday Memes: Flight of the Outcast by Brad Strickland

Happy Friday everybody!!

Book Beginnings

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

The Friday 56

Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Storytime with Tonya and Friends.
  • Post a link along with your post back to Storytime with Tonya and Friends.
  • Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.
Both of mine this week are from Flight of the Outcast (the Academy Year 1) by Brad Strickland.

Asteria Locke's Fight has just begun...

Asteria Locke has never left her father's farm on the remote planet of Theron. But in one terrible moment, a surprise attack by space raiders destroys everything she's ever known. Orphaned and alone, Asteria vows to avenge her father's death by joining the Royal Spacefleet Academy. . . even if she has to lie to get in.

Branded an outcast at the Academy from the start, Asteria must work twice as hard as the other students to prove herself. But in time, she suspects that the Aristocrats who torment her have more sinister motives than shaming a commoner. They'll stop at nothing to hide a secret from her father's past-a secret that could shift the balance of power throughout the entire universe.

First sentence:
Asteria Locke's world ended quite suddenly one noon in the early summer of her thirteenth Standard year.
Sentence 5, page 56:
The Academy was the size of a city, with all the architectural variety of a settlement more than three thousand years old.
 I just finished an adult paranormal and wanted something totally different. Middle Grade science fiction was the closest "really different" that I could find.

8 comments:

  1. Hi, this is Jillian from Random Ramblings. I am trying to contact all the blog's followers.. if you could please read my latest post about the blog's technical problems, I'd greatly appreciate it. You can read the post right here. Thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good! Can't wait to hear your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this before but I really like the synopsis. Good first sentence. I look forward to hearing what you thought of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the first line--nothing like jumping in feet first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed Flight of the Outcast, it's very Harry Potter in space, hehe :) Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm coming by from the Hop. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm now following you. I'm from Minnesota too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that the opening line says her Standard year, I haven't read the book, but just alone like that it almost sounds a bit tongue in cheek

    ReplyDelete
  8. The opening gets you to read on while your F56 lets them know a little of the world you're getting with this book.

    Here's mine: http://thebooksofmylife.blogspot.com/2010/06/book-beginnings-and-friday-56-jun-11.html

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!