Monday, June 28, 2010

Review: Blood Feud by Alyxandra Harvey

Blood Feud
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Publication: Walker Books for Young Readers (June 22, 2010)

Description: It's been centuries since Isabeau St. Croix barely survived the French Revolution. Now she's made her way back to the living and she must face the ultimate test by confronting the evil British lord who left her for dead the day she turned into a vampire. That's if she can control her affection for Logan Drake, a vampire whose bite is as sweet as the revenge she seeks. 

The clans are gathering for Helena's royal coronation as the next vampire queen, and new alliances are beginning to form now that the old rifts of Lady Natasha's reign have started to heal. But with a new common enemy, Leander Montmarte—a vicious leader who hopes to force Solange to marry him and usurp the power of the throne for himself—the clans must stand together to preserve the peace he threatens to destroy.

This second adventure in the Drake Chronicles—told from both Logan's and Isabeau's perspectives—has all the same butt-kicking action, heart-pounding romances and snarky humor that readers loved in Hearts at Stake, as well as exciting new revelations about the vampire dynasties to keep readers coming back for more.

My Thoughts: This was another great episode in the Drake Chronicles. Logan is the fashion-conscious brother but that doesn't mean he isn't also a great warrior. He just looks really good when he fights. He is a young vampire and thoroughly modern. Isabeau is the daughter of a French duke and she survived the French Revolution. But then she was turned into a vampire and buried for 200 years. She became a part of the Hounds (Cwn Mamau) who raise and train fierce dogs and who haven't forgotten how to use magic.Magic has told her that she will find her mate among the Drakes. Logan is more than OK with that.

But before they can move on to happily ever after, they have to deal with Montmartre who wants to be king and Greyhaven, who turned Isabeau to a vampire and wants to stage a coup and become king himself. Add that to the distrust the different groups of vampires have for each other and it is easy to see that the path will not be smooth.

I liked both main characters. I also like the style of the book with each chapter being narrated by one of the main characters. The flashbacks to the Isabeau's human life also added interest and depth to the story. The dialog between Isabeau and Logan was fun.

The only thing I didn't like about this story was that there wasn't enough of Lucy and Solange.

Recommended for all lovers of vampire stories.


Favorite Quote: Isabeau and Logan are speaking. Logan is the one who doesn't understand.


"I don't want to worry them. And they wouldn't understand anyway."
"I don't understand," I shot back.
"I know. But you're still here, you're still helping. You're not trying to stop me."
I shook my head. "I am so trying to stop you - I'm just doing a piss-poor job of it, apparently."
Challenges: Paranormal Reading Challenge, 2010 YA Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge



7 comments:

  1. There are so many Drake brothers that I have trouble remembering who is who. Isabeau sounds like an interesting character. I may have to read through Hearts at Stake again before I read Blood Feud. Nice review! I'm glad to see that you liked the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read these books. I have them on my shelf. I like how you shared your favorite quote in the review.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a great read! Great review and loved the quote!

    ~Felicia @ Geeky Bloggers Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this for my review too! I didn't rate the books that much... They were okay, just thought there was a great book in there that was being buried by the romance. Wanted to see more of the politics and mythology. I imagine there will be a lot of teens who love it though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a fantastic read! I love the cover! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for your useful info !!
    i think you will like it very much . come to have a look , please !!
    Fashion watches
    Discount watches
    Antique pocket watches

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm here from the Saturday Network!

    I have this book on my TBR shelf and I know what you mean when you say there wasn't enough of the characters of the previous book. I felt that way when I read the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!