Monday, June 14, 2010

Review: The Crescent by Jordan Deen


The Crescent 
Author: Jordan Deen
Publication: Black Rose Writing (January 14, 2010)

Description: Becoming a werewolf is not an option for seventeen-year-old Lacey Quinn, but death can be a strong motivator.   Lacey is so focused on her future that everyday life has passed her by. Counting down the days to her eighteenth birthday, Lacey is almost home free. But when she falls for the mysterious Alex Morris, she lands in the middle of an ancient war between two enemy wolf packs. Tempting dreams, tantalizing lies and a dangerous love triangle ensues leaving Lacey heartbroken and confused. Lacey's fate rests in the hands of Alex and Brandon, but both are pulling her strings for their own agendas. Even as she slips further into the dark world of werewolves, Lacey struggles to find the truth and save the only family she's ever know.

My Thoughts: This was an interesting book. I liked that it was told in tight first person. The reader could easily see Lacey's confusion about her life. She is attracted to two new boys who have come to her school. Alex is tall, dark, handsome and mysterious and makes a serious play for her. Brandon is even more mysterious and is seldom around. However, she feels a strong attraction to him. The two boys are apparently members of rival families and the one that manages to claim Lacey will cause his family to win and the other family to die.

What I didn't like about the book was that, because it was told in tight first person, we didn't know more than Lacey did and she didn't know much about what was really going on and it was confusing. Another thing I didn't like about the book was the poor editing, poor word choices and many grammatical errors.  There were many inappropriate uses of apostrophes that reminded me of my fourth graders' work. 
To my surprise, or rather dismay, neither of my parent's mentioned Alex dropping me off tonight.
Someone fell in love with apostrophes and used them every time a word ended with "s".  Another annoyance was the use of "loose" when the correct word should be "lose".
Thank god I'm not totally loosing my mind.
There were a few other word choices that threw me out of the story. "queue" for "cue" and "nit" for "knit" are two examples that come to mind.

I recommend this book for young readers who want to read about a romantic triangle similar to the triangle in Twilight and those who really like werewolves.

Challenges: RYOB Reading Challenge, 2010 YA Reading Challenge

3 comments:

  1. Great review, I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about this one and it's been on my TBR list but I've been hesitant to start it, but I think I'm going to give it a try, thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your review and still can't wait to read it! I can't thank you enough for your kindness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I recall some of those errors, but I guess I am just use to looking over them because I find mistakes all the time. I just needed more background info. :) Thanks for stoping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!