Thursday, June 17, 2010

Review: Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Raised by Wolves
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Publication: EgmontUSA (June 8, 2010)


Description: Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it.  That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.  

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?


My Thoughts: This was an excellent werewolf story and an excellent coming of age story. Brynn has always known that she was targeted by a werewolf who killed her parents but she has never known why. She was rescued by Callum's pack and raised by werewolves as a marked human. Then Chase arrives and she learns that he was changed by the same werewolf. Together they form a pack of their own and are determined to finally kill the werewolf who targeted both of them. 


The book is filled with lots of details about the bonds between werewolves and other werewolf lore. It was an interesting look at the werewolf pack from someone who could see it from the outside.  I really liked Brynn and sympathized with her in her journey to independence.


I recommend this book to anyone who likes a coming of age story or werewolves.


Favorite Quote:
Well, at least I wasn't completely on my own. Though after a moment's reflection, I wasn't sure if that was a comfort or not. My allies in this circle consisted of a fashion-conscious teenage boy who believed in the holy power of the movie musical and two infants wearing shirts with little yellow and blue duckies on them. 


An army, we were not.


Challenges: RYOB Reading Challenge, 2010 YA Reading Challenge




3 comments:

  1. Dropping by from the hop. Thanks for this review. I saw this at B&N today and was very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS a good quote! Thank you for sharing your review with me! I'll be starting this book TODAY! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Kathy - I love the quote you picked! I've added your link to my review :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!