Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summer Break Reading Challenge Goals

Summer Break Reading Challenge Activity #1


Here is the challenge from Karin:
Okay everyone, here's how we're going to start.  I want you to post your reading goals for the summer. The prize up for grabs is BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver.
You know, for  me, a big part of summer is the lazy, laid back attitude. During the school year I am driven and always have plans and lists and goals. I'm not sure I want to set any goals except "read as much as I can."

I could set a goal like "I will read a book a day". I just checked LibraryThing to find out that I have read 23 books since June 8 (my first official day of summer vacation). But I don't want to feel forced to read if I want to do something else for a few days.

I could set a goal that I will read all the YA books I brought home with me for the summer. But I brought home some excellent adult books that I have been eager to read for a while too.

I think I'm going to stick with the reading as much as I can goal. 

I would really like to read all the books in at least two of the crates I brought home with me for the summer. I think a more realistic goal is that I read more books than I buy this summer. That will be hard enough, I bought 3 books today and got 10 already this week. 

These tempting YAs arrived this week:
Blood Feud by Alyxandra Harvey
13 to Life by Shannon Delaney
A Different Day, A Different Destiny by Annette Laing

These tempting adult books arrived this week:

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich
Mission of Honor by David Weber

By the way, I would like to disqualify myself for this challenge's prize. I bought Before I Fall when it came out, tried to read it, and donated it to my HS Media Center unfinished. It was not a book that I could get into despite the numerous, glowing reviews that the book received.

7 comments:

  1. I SO want to read 13 to Life (in fact, it's on my list!). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and I feel like a complete slacker thinking my 6 books so far was good! Can I agrue that I have 3 kids, two in soccer??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thanks for letting me know ahead of time you don't want BEFORE I FALL. Perhaps if you are randomly chosen, we can work something else out.

    You brought home a lot of books. Good luck. I think "read as much as you can" is a great goal. I don't want this to be a reading challenge that pressures you.

    Thanks for participating.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous you have 13 to Life. Your goal is awesome, i hope you get through some of the crates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blood Feud & 13 to Life are on my challenge list too. I hope we both get to read them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am interested in A Short History of Nearly Everything too. My only goal is to read everyday this summer. I am a little tired of lists too which I never thought I would say. Hmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you are set for the summer with your crates! I just bought the Read, Remember, and Recommend teen reading journal and am trying to tackle some of those lists.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!