Thursday, July 22, 2010

Friday Memes: Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus

Happy Friday everybody!!


Book Beginnings
Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.
The Friday 56

Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Storytime with Tonya and Friends.
  • Post a link along with your post back to Storytime with Tonya and Friends.
  • Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus is sitting to my left as I am preparing this post.

After her sister Athena's tragic death, it's obvious that grief-stricken Persephone "Phe" Archer no longer belongs in Los Angeles. Hoping to make sense of her sister's sudden demise and the cryptic dreams following it, Phe abandons her bubbly LA life to attend an uptight East Coast preparatory school in Shadow Hills, MA -- a school which her sister mysteriously mentioned in her last diary entry before she died.

Once there, Phe quickly realizes that something is deeply amiss in her new town. Not only does Shadow Hills' history boast an unexplained epidemic that decimated hundreds of its citizens in the 1700s, but its modern townies also seem eerily psychic, with the bizarre ability to bend metal. Even Zach -- the gorgeous stranger Phe meets and immediately begins to lust after -- seems as if he is hiding something serious. Phe is determined to get to the bottom of it. The longer she stays there, the more she suspects that her sister's untimely death and her own destiny are intricately linked to those who reside in Shadow Hills.


Beginning sentence: 
I had thought that nothing could be worse than what they had already done to me, but I was wrong.
Friday 56:
Ariel had a saying for when I started switching out the CDs in her car changer: "All hail the music dictator." I, however, preferred to think of it as having good taste.
This is the first book by this YA author.




6 comments:

  1. I have seen this on the lists, but now I'm really intrigued. Thanks!

    Here's mine:

    http://snowconnections.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/the-friday-56-5/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Sounds very intriguing. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2010/07/friday-56_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Earlier I came by regarding the 56...but now I'm here for the beginnings.

    I like that opener...it tells me that the story that follows will have plenty of drama.

    Here's mine:

    http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/book-beginnings-on-friday-14/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading debut novels and this one sounds promising. Hope you're enjoying it

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!