Saturday, July 17, 2010

Review: The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

The Grimm Legacy
Author: Polly Shulman
Publication: Putnam Juvenile (July 8, 2010)


Description: Elizabeth has a new job at an unusual library— a lending library of objects, not books. In a secret room in the basement lies the Grimm Collection. That’s where the librarians lock away powerful items straight out of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales: seven-league boots, a table that produces a feast at the blink of an eye, Snow White’s stepmother’s sinister mirror that talks in riddles.


When the magical objects start to disappear, Elizabeth embarks on a dangerous quest to catch the thief before she can be accused of the crime—or captured by the thief.
Polly Shulman has created a contemporary fantasy with a fascinating setting and premise, starring an ordinary girl whose after-school job is far from ordinary— and leads to a world of excitement, romance and magical intrigue.


My Thoughts: I liked this story. Elizabeth is an interesting character. She is adjusting to a new school and changes in her life. Her best friend has moved away and she is no longer taking the ballet classes she loved. After her mother's death, her father remarried and now she has a stepmother and two older stepsisters. Her father is distracted and her stepmother favors her own daughters. 


Elizabeth is kind and honest. She is recommended for an after-school job working in an unusual library by her Social Studies teacher. She finds that it is a library that lends objects including magical objects collected by the Brothers Grimm.


Elizabeth likes her job and begins making friends with some of the other library Pages. Anjali who is Indian and has a crush on Marc Merritt. Marc is an African-American and the star basketball player at Elizabeth's new school. She also meets Aaron who has a crush on Anjali. But strange things are happening at the library. Magical objects are disappearing or being returned to the library with their magic gone. Other Pages are disappearing too. 


Elizabeth and her new friends investigate to try to find out what is happening. The story has a number of adventures and is an exciting story.


I recommend this book to middle graders and young adults who like books with adventure and magic. There is also some romance.


Favorite Quote:
"I remember Mauskopf--what a weirdo! Does he still wear that green bow tie? And give out demerits if he catches you looking at the clock?"

"Yup." I quoted him: "'Time will pass--but will you?'"
Challenges: 2010 YA Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge, Paranormal Reading Challenge, In the Middle Reading Challenge


3 comments:

  1. I think this one sounds fantastic and perfect for my middle schoolers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I'll have to see if my library carries it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book. I am going to find myself a copy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!