Friday, August 20, 2010

Review: Almost to Die For by Tate Hallaway

Almost to Die For
Author: Tate Hallaway
Publication: NAL Trade (August 3, 2010)


Description: Twilight meets The Princess Diaries in the new series from the author of Honeymoon of the Dead 

On her sixteenth birthday, Anastasija Parker learns that her so-called deadbeat dad is actually a vampire king. And he wants Ana to assume her rightful position at his side, in spite of the fact that she has witch's blood running through her veins-from her mother's side. 

Too bad witches and vampires are mortal enemies. And now Ana's parents are at each other's throats over her future. It's up to Ana to make a choice, but deciding your eternal destiny is a pretty big deal for a girl who just wants to get through high school.

My Thoughts: This was an interesting story about a girl who is an outsider. She has few friends in high school. Bea is her best friend. They have known each other since they were small because Bea's parents are also True Witches. There personalities are very different. Bea is loud, outgoing, and flirtatious. Ana says she is something of a diva. Her other friend is Taylor who is a Muslim and a geek and who knows all about living int two worlds. Ana is a hereditary witch but doesn't seem to have any magic herself. On her 16th birthday she learns that her father is a vampire. Her mother hadn't told her anything about him. She learns that witches and vampires are enemies. Witches kept vampires as slaves until they rebelled. 


Ana struggles to learn more about her vampire heritage and her place in it. She also begins a couple of romances. The first is with Nik who is a member of her coven and who, she learns, is in training to be a vampire hunter. The other is Elias who is Captain of her father's Praetorian Guard and who is guarding her. 


An important part of the story concerns Ana's quest for her own identity and independence. I recommend this book to YAs who like paranormal stories with teens searching for independence.


Favorite Quote:
My tongue sought the errant blood, and I sucked it into my mouth greedily. For  a second, the irises of my eyes refracted like a cat's.

I looked like a vampire--in gym shorts.

Hysterical laughter bubbled up, and I giggled until I realized exactly how crazy I looked. I wiped the remaining blood off my mouth with the back of my hand.


Challenges: 2010 YA Debut Author Challenge, 2010 YA Reading Challenge, Paranormal Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge

2 comments:

  1. I've been waiting to hear more about this one. I love Tate Hallaway so I'll have to check it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. This sounds promising. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!