Monday, August 23, 2010

Review: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Halo
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Publication: Feiwel & Friends (August 31, 2010)


Description: Three angels are sent down to bring good to the world: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. But she is the most human, and when she is romantically drawn to a mortal boy, the angels fear she will not be strong enough to save anyone—especially herself—from the Dark Forces.
Is love a great enough power against evil?


My Thoughts: This is the fourth book by Adornetto who is a young Australian author. Sources vary but she was either born in 1992 or 1993. This is her first US publication.


This book reminded me a lot of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It had the same over-the-top melodrama and flowery speech. For example, the heroine awakes after being kidnapped by the villain and spends an entire page describing in minute detail the room where she wakes up. One other reviewer mentioned that she was glad the author had a thesaurus but felt it was a bit overused. I agree. 


The three angels come to a small town to try to influence it to be good. Bethany is a seventeen-year-old and is a new angel. She is nearest to human and eager for human experiences. Naturally, she falls in love with a boy with a tragic past who is beautiful, honorable and very mature. Their romance is the kind that many teenage girls dream of. The feel incomplete without the other and count the seconds until they are together. But then another boy shows up and tries to break up the relationship. Of course, he is evil and wants to create  more followers for Lucifer.


I recommend this book for the YAs who fell in love with Twilight and love their romance with a hefty helping of melodrama. Unfortunately, I have outgrown that stage in my life and found myself rolling my eyes and jeering at the book frequently as I read it. Even so, I am eager to share it with some of my students who will take the book to heart. The messages in the book are positive and innocent but not very feminist.


Here is a new trailer:





Favorite Quote:
Mingled with my guilt and shame was a new latent anger at the thought that my fate wasn't mine to determine. Xavier had put that idea into my head. My relationship with him would be decided for me, and the worst part of it was that I didn't know when it would happen. My time on earth came with an unknown expiration date. What if I didn't even get to say good-bye to him?
Concerning the quote: We all come with an unknown expiration date. That is part of the human condition. This is not a unique situation even though most teenagers don't yet believe in death after life.

Challenges: RYOB, 2010 YA Reading Challenge, Paranormal Reading Challenge




3 comments:

  1. I think I also have outgrown that stage in my life...because lately I can't stand this kind of books!

    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review! I've got this on my TBR pile but I'm kind of dreading it due to the size and other comparisons I've read to Twilight. However, I know it will be popular with my teen girls at my library so I need to give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for honest review! I did love twilight though so might give it a chance :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!