Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Review: Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel

Infinite Days
Author: Rebecca Maizel
Publication: St. Martin's Griffin; 1 edition (August 3, 2010)


Description: "Throughout all my histories, I found no one I loved more than you...no one."

Those were some of Rhode's last words to me. The last time he would pronounce his love. The last time I would see his face.

It was the first time in 592 years I could take a breath. Lay in the sun. Taste.

Rhode sacrificed himself so I, Lenah Beaudonte, could be human again. So I could stop the blood lust.


I never expected to fall in love with someone else that wasn't Rhode.

But Justin was...daring. Exciting. More beautiful than I could dream.

I never expected to be sixteen again...then again, I never expected my past to come back and haunt me...


My Thoughts: Rebecca Maizel has taken the current theme of humans becoming vampires and turned it around. Lenah Beaudonte is a vampire who is newly made human by her sire and love Rhode. Sadly, the ritual to return her to human life costs the life of the vampire who performs it. This leaves Lenah alone at age 16 in an exclusive boarding school mourning her love and trying to adjust to human life after 500 years as a vampire.

The story is told in the first person and we see frequent memories of earlier events in Lenah’s life as they are triggered by current situations. We see her committing atrocities and forming a coven with four other male vampires that she sired. I had a hard time connecting with Lenah especially as I read about her memories. Maizel’s vampires are so completely alien to human life that I just couldn’t connect with her. I think that the first person lends itself more to telling about what happens as opposed to showing what happens. I found that viewpoint to be distancing.

When Lenah ventures out of her apartment at the beginning of the school year her first friend is Tony who is one of the art geeks at the school. But she is also immediately attracted to the Big Man on Campus Justin Enos. He is also attracted to her and dumps his girlfriend in her favor. He is something of a daredevil and encourages her to try a number of things including scuba diving and bunge jumping. As best I can tell, the basis of their relationship is that they are both beautiful (which seems shallow to me). Lenah is also attracted to him because he makes her feel more human.

Her new life is endangered by her coven especially Vicken. In Maizel’s mythology the love between vampires is eternal and irrevocable. Except when Lenah became human the connection was broken from her end leaving Vicken in more than the usual vampire pain.

The story and the mythology were very complex. I recommend this book to older YAs who want to read a different kind of vampire story. 


Challenges: 2010 YA Debut Author, 2010 YA Reading Challenge, Paranormal Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Very good review. That is too bad about the first person POV. I wonder if you would have enjoyed it more in 3rd person. I don't think Justin sounds like that great of a character. I might try reading this if I can get it from a library. You certainly made it sound interesting even with the book's flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer - I just got this in the mail - I will have to give it a read and see what I think too!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!