Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Review: Kiss Me Deadly edited by Trisha Telep

Kiss Me Deadly:
13 Tales of Paranormal Love
Edited by Trisha Telep
Publication: Running Press Kids (August 3, 2010)


Contents:


The Assassin's Apprentice by Michelle Zink - Rose is on the hunt the demon Bael who killed her family. Asher is also hunting Bael.


Errant by Diana Peterfreund - A unicorn hunter and her old tired unicorn come to perform a pre-wedding ritual in Commarque.


The Spirit Jar by Karen Mahoney - A vampire named Moth meets a half-Djinn named Adam when they both try to steal the same book. Adam needs it more and Moth helps him.


Lost by Justin Musk - Sasha has always had a talent for finding lost things. She meets a tutor named Haiden who helps her refine her talents. Her talent helps find her best friend who is in a coma and changes her future.


The Spy Who Never Grew Up by Sarah Rees Brennan - This is a story of what Peter Pan is up to now in his adventure with the many times great granddaughter of Wendy.


Dungeons of Langeais by Becca Fitzpatrick - We get to see why Chauncey hates the angel as much as he does.


Behind the Red Door by Caitlin Kittredge - Jo explores a haunted house and meets a murderous ghost.


Hare Moon by Carrie Ryan - This is a story about choices from the same world as In the Forest of Hands and Teeth.


Familiar by Michelle Rowen - Reluctant witch Brenda needs a familiar. Somehow she chooses a shapeshifter who was thrown out of his pack. 


Fearless by Rachel Vincent - Sabine is a mara who feeds on nightmares. She is sent to a group home and finds out that none of the girls can be coaxed into nighmares.


Vermillion by Daniel Marks - This one was completely baffling to me. It took place in Purgatory.


The Hounds of Ulster by Maggie Stiefvater - Bryant and Sullivan are best friends and Irish punk gods in D.C. until Sullivan meets and falls in love with one of Them.


Many Happy Returns by Daniel Waters - Mandy and Jake are in love but both die in a car accident. Only Jake comes back and Mandy does not. The story is told from the viewpoint of Mandy's father.


My Thoughts: I enjoyed most of the stories in this anthology. It introduced me to some authors I want to try again including Daniel Waters. My favorite story was Familiar by Michelle Rowen. I also really enjoyed the tongue in cheek humor of The Spy Who Never Grew Up by Sarah Rees Brennan.


Challenges: Paranormal Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge, 2010 YA Reading Challenge


2 comments:

  1. I liked this anthology. Familiar was one of my favorites and I also liked Hare Moon, The Hounds of Ulster, and Many Happy Returns. I haven't read Generation Dead but if it is like the novella, I think I'd like to give it a try. I did not like Vermillion. It was incredibly odd and I couldn't finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really am looking forward to reading this, though I am not a fan of short stories usually...I really love the authors in this one, at least the one's I have read before...looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!