Thursday, September 23, 2010

Review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Firelight
Author: Sophie Jordan
Publication: HarperCollins; 1 edition (September 7, 2010)


Description: Descended from dragons, the draki's ability to appear human protects them from hunters. Jacinda lives with her pride in the Cascades, but she chafes under her special status as the only fire-breather in hundreds of years. Recklessly breaking the “no-fly” rule, she attracts hunters; mercifully, one hunter, a beautiful boy who looks upon her with wonder, lets her escape. After this, the pride intends to hobble her rebelliousness, and Jacinda is forced to flee. But while twin sister Tamra, who never manifested and was shunned, is happy with the move, Jacinda feels only anguish within Nevada's desert climate. Then she meets Will and, despite recognizing him as the same draki hunter, feels herself come alive. Jordan's compelling addition to the supernatural star-crossed lovers theme is equal parts taut suspense and sensuous romance, with visceral writing and believable relationships among characters, particularly among Jacinda's family. A foreshadowed twist and a thrilling confrontation in the end pages leave Jacinda heartbroken and in trouble, and readers will howl for more.

My Thoughts: This was an enjoyable paranormal story about a less common sort of creature -- dragons! For the most part, I liked Jacinda. She was a somewhat rebellious teen. It was difficult to see her run into so many obstructions. Should she stay with the pride with the cost of a forced marriage and possibly having her wings clipped? Should she stay with her mother and sister in the human world and have to deny her dragon nature? There were really no good choices.


This was also sort of a romance triangle. Jacinda was torn between Cassian who is her potential dragon mate and the hunter boy who spared her life. She and Cassian have know each other since childhood but are not in love. It seems to me that Cassian wants her more for what she can do for the pride than for herself. Will is the human boy who spared her when his group of hunters found her. There is definite chemistry between Will and Jacinda. Like scorching chemistry. But Will is having a difficult time himself as he tries to distance himself from his hunter family.


Still another sort of conflict exists because Jacinda's mom and sister love the human life. Her sister Tamra never manifested - she is strictly human. Life was not good for her in the pride and she wants to stay in the human world. Her mother has stopped manifesting and wants to keep her daughters in the human world because it is best for Tamra and would keep Jacinda safe from the forced marriage. There is no good solution that would keep both daughters happy.


I recommend this book to young adults who like some romance in their stories and who love dragons. I just wish I knew still more about the dragons. Maybe the sequels will explore that more. 


Favorite Quote:
Can't she understand? What good is safety if you're dead inside?
Challenges: 2010 YA Debut Author Challenge, 2010 YA Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge

5 comments:

  1. Books with dragons haven't usually been my favorite to read about, but I might give this book a try. It seems like a good story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed this book. I recenly won this ARC but haven't yet gotten into it. Though based on the reviews I've read, I better be hurry, I think!

    I am here from the CEP and hope that you have a great week =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds unique, and I've had it on my wishlist for a while. The love triangle and dragon mythology seems promising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the next book in the series will go into dragons a little more. I'm kinda fizzy on it, too. I did like this book, though, and will definitely read the next book!

    Here from the CEP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I really liked that with as much focus on the paranormal as there is in YA lit right now this stepped outside the normal vampire/werewolf lines. I wasn't sure how I was going to like it but really did and am looking forward to the follow up.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!