Friday, September 3, 2010

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publication: Scholastic Press (August 24, 2010)


Description: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins’s groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.


My Thoughts: This was as the blurb says "powerful and haunting." I know that I won't forget it for quite a while. I don't want to give any spoilers. But I will say that the final battles are as wrenching and awful as the games in the previous two books. Katniss begins the story in District 13 healing. She gets a chance to see what has been happening there. The leader is quick to use her as a symbol to bring down the Capitol. Both sides are willing to do anything to win this war no matter how evil. The decisions Katniss has to make and the costs of those decisions in heart-breaking.


Readers who have read the first two volumes of this series won't be disappointed in the finish. I am eager to share this with all the students who put their names on the waiting list for The Hunger Games and kept asking me when the next book would be available.


Challenges: RYOB Reading Challenge, 2010 YA Reading Challenge

3 comments:

  1. I loved this book. It got mixed reviews but i think it's because people weren't expecting the ending they got. Thanks for posting up your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of this series but admit this was my least favorite of them all. There was definitely realism and drama and all the elements of a fascinating and excellent read. But I didn't love it as much as the first or second. I still strongly encourage people to read them all, truly the best dystopian series I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a wonderful book - both awesome and frustrating at the same time yet I suspect it had to be.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!