Saturday, September 11, 2010

Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy
Author: Kiersten White
Publication: HarperTeen (August 31, 2010)


Description: Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.


But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.


So much for normal.


My Thoughts: I thought that this was a very good paranormal story. I enjoyed getting to know Evie. She begins as a pretty ordinary teenage girl who loves pink and the latest TV show with hot teenage characters. But she is not quite ordinary. She can see through any glamours that paranormals use. She is the only one who can. She was raised in foster homes until her talent was discovered and then, at eight years old, she was found by the IPCA (International Paranormal Containment Agency). They gave her a home where she was wanted, an education, and a purpose. 


Everything seems to be be going pretty well until something starts killing paranormals. Of course there is the problem of Reth. He's a fairy who wants something from Evie and it scares her badly when no one believes that he is a threat. She also has her best friend who happens to be a mermaid.


Then the IPCA catches a new kind of paranormal who breaks in. He can mimic anyone's voice and appearance and Evie has a hard time seeing through the glamour to the real person underneath. As Evie gets to know Lend she starts to question the things that she has been taught and question their policy toward paranormals. 


This is a good story of Evie's growth from childhood to maturity as she finds about herself and starts to make decisions for herself. I liked the romance that grows between Evie and Lend. And I like the touches of humor as Lend introduces her to normal teenage life. I smiled as Evie romanticized normal teenage life and high school.


I recommend this book to lovers of paranormals and romances.


Favorite Quote:
I sighed. I hate the vamp jobs. They think they're so suave. It's not enough for them to slaughter and eat you like a zombie would. No, they want it to be all sexy too. And, trust me: vampires? Not. Sexy. I mean, sure, their glamours can be pretty hot, but the dry-as-a-bone corpse bodies shimmering underneath? Nothing attractive there. Nat that anyone else can see them though.
Here is the trailer from HarperTeen:



Challenges: 2010 YA Debut Author, 2010 YA Reading Challenge, Paranormal Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge


7 comments:

  1. great quote! ive wanted to read this book forever, ive read so many positive reviews. nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I'm glad to read you enjoyed this one. I just got it this week and am sad to see it waiting in my TBR pile and not on my nightstand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I really want to read this one, but I haven't been able to get my hands on it. I hope I can read it soon, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this review and the quote too! I just bought this one and am really looking forward to it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really enjoyed this book! It was such a fresh addition to the YA paranormal genre. I can't wait to see what Kiersten comes up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aggh...I can't wait to read this book!!!

    Thanks for your review and recommendation. It just makes me want to read it more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your review! :) I was really amused by the way Evie romanticized typical teen experiences too. Definitely a cute and funny addition to the paranormal YA section.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!