Saturday, October 2, 2010

In My YA Mailbox (Oct. 3, 2010)

The weekly In My Mailbox post is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It is fun to see what everyone else gets in their mailboxes, shopping bags, and library visits. Click on the link to The Story Siren's site to see the rules and join in the fun.


I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the cool books everyone gets. You will discover lots of wonderful blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without.


This was a very unusual book for me. I got 4 books and three of them were for review. I usually buy all my books. This is an interesting change. However, now I feel pressure to read and review these books soon, I don't know that I actually like that pressure. Am I alone in this? How do you feel when you receive books for review?


I was surprised to receive an ARC of Matched by Ally Condie in my mailbox this week. I don't remember winning it in any contest. I know I entered a few for it though. I think that the premise in intriguing and am eager to get a chance to read it before it is actually published.

I did purchase a copy of Torment by Lauren Kate. I enjoyed Fallen, even though it felt unfinished to me, as did quite a few of my students when I brought it to my HS Media Center. My students are the ones who reminded me that Torment was coming and asked if I was going to be getting it for them. I hope this makes the whole story more complete.
I also received an ARC of Selling Hope by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb for review. I thought a Middle Grade work of historical fiction would be a nice change of pace for me. I find that I am reading way too much paranormal to consider myself a well-rounded reader. I need more balance.

I was also approached to review Radiance by Alyson Noel and received a finished copy of the book this week. Although I was not in love with Noel's the Immortals series, I will admit to being fascinated with the main character's ghostly little sister Riley. I am looking forward to reading this and sharing it with my students.

That was my mailbox. What appeared in yours? Any surprises?

18 comments:

  1. Awesome books! That's cool that you got a surprise copy of Matched =)

    Hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really interested in reading Matched. Hope you like all the books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab books this week. I really want to read Matched. Hope you enjoy all of your books! My mailbox is here.

    Don't forget you can link your banned book reviews on this weeks Read My Review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books this week! I also got Torment - can't wait to read that one! I LOVED Matched. It was fabulous. I hope you enjoy it and Radiance was really cute. My students love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The two books I keep hoping for Matched and Torment. I ordered Torment and am biting my nails for the Mailman to bring it home. Matched will be on standby until I get Forbidden.

    Nice books again :) happy reading :)

    http://aisleb.tumblr.com/post/1234388612/mailbox-monday-in-my-mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got some great books here! I am looking forward to "Matched" and need to pick up "Torment" soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books this week! I love the cover of Matched, and can't wait to read it. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Radiance looks super good, as does Torment. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got Torment, too! I am excited for Matched. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY for Matched! I can't wait to get to my copy :-)


    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. selling hpe looks interesting! can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ms. Martin!! I'm so excited you got Matched! I love it! I can't wait to see what you think of the book. Please let me know when your review is up!!

    Enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Selling Hope looks great. I haven't heard about it. I'm looking forward to Torment and I've heard good things about Matched.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had a great week! I hope you enjoy Matched and am looking forward to your review! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, look...we both got Torment this week! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've recently read and reviewed Torment so I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!