Saturday, October 30, 2010

In My YA Mailbox (Oct. 31, 2010)


The weekly In My Mailbox post is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It is fun to see what everyone else gets in their mailboxes, shopping bags, and library visits. Click on the link to The Story Siren's site to see the rules and join in the fun.
 
I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the cool books everyone gets. You will discover lots of wonderful blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without. Here are the books that followed me home this week.
 
I spent last Friday and Saturday at KidLit Con 2010. These books are the result of that experience.
 
I had a chance to meet Swati Avasthi and hear her speak about how she was promoting her debut book Sweep. However, the bookseller was sold out and I had to get mine from Amazon after I got home. Luckily, I did have her sign a bookplate that I put in my new book when it arrived.

I won a copy of  Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart by Maud Hart Lovelace for asking a question at the Blogging the Backlist session. I haven't read these. I feel behind because Lovelace is a much-beloved Minnesota author.

I also had a chance to get an ARC of The Hole in the Wall by Lisa Rowe Fraustino. This is a middle grade novel being published by Milkweek Books.

I also bought The Absolute Value of -1 by Steve Brezenoff and had a chance to get it autographed. This YA books has gotten mixed reviews and I am eager to see what I think.

These books actually did appear in my mailbox this week.

Eternal: More Love Stories With Bite edited by P. C. Cast has a number of stories by authors that I read.

The Fledgling Handbook 101 by P. C. Cast is for fans of the House of Night series who wish to learn more in a pseud-nonfiction book about being a fledgling. I thought it looked interesting. I know I have students who will be interested in this one.

I also bought Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick. I have already lent it to a student who has promised to read it and write a review for this blog. I didn't know when it would rise to the top of my TBR stack. So I am grateful for her help (and I love to feed reading addictions.)
I also decided to buy a few books that have been on my wishlist for a while. All of them are either or both steampunk or dystopias.
  • Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi is up for some awards this year and I thought it was time that I read it.
  • Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld has been out for a while and I had been considering buying it for quite a while. The publication of Behemoth tipped me over the edge. 
These are the books that have found a home on my TBR stack. What did you get this week?



31 comments:

  1. Great books! I really want Crescendo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome bunch of books, they all look fabulous! Hope you enjoy each of them :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great books you've got there!
    Happy Reading!
    Here's what I got In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Leviathan on it's way to me, and I'm suppose to be getting copies of both for giveaway as well. I'm very anxious to read them! If you read them in November be sure to link your reviews on the linky I'll have up for Steampunk book reviews! I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listened to Leviathan (and have Behemoth) on audio and it was fantastic! I hope you enjoy them both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome mailbox!! Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Ship Breaker and can't wait to read it. I sounds so very good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic books! I would kill for The Absolute Value of -1!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, great list of books! I've been needing to get a hold of the Fledgling Handbook, but I feel I need to read Tempted first. And I really want to read Absolute Value of -1 and the Scott Westerfield series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is fantastic that you loaned your copy of Crescendo to a student! I hope she enjoys it.

    I haven't read Split yet but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really wish I'd gone to that backlist session. It sounded really interesting. Great reads this week. I still need to read Leviathan. I've heard most people like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW what a list. So many are on my TBR list and several I haven't heard of. Looking forward to reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy that is a list and a half, so many many books that are popular as well as a few have never heard of! Enjoy..

    My Mailbox this week is full of my YA finds and a couple of winnings from blog contests if you want to come check it out!

    jackie >_<

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh so many fantastic books:) Crescendo is on my wishlist! Here is my mailbox

    And don't forget to check out my giveaway... just click here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still need to get Hush Hush, it's on my bday list so far and I entered a contest or 2 that I am still waiting to hear the winner announcement on!

    Might get Eternal someday too!

    Another great mailbox! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved Crescendo! Great Mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you got a BUNCH of books this week. I really hope you enjoy all of them. Crescendo's very high on my TBR list. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome books! I got the Fledgling Handbook this week, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel the same way about the new Westerfeld series.

    Happy reading!
    If you want to know what I got in my mailbox this week, check out my blog here-
    http://themodpodgebookshelf.blogspot.com
    Blessings,
    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  20. *High Five* We bought have Crescendo this week!=)

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent books! I have to get Behmouth myself. I love the illustrations in it and frankly the series is worth it for those alone.

    I'm so envious you got to attend kidlitcon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great selection of books. I'm reading Crescendo and its awesome so far! Happy reading :)
    Check out my In My Mailbox

    Mia @GrippedintoBooks

    ReplyDelete
  23. We're reading some of the same books! I've got Hole in the Wall coming up on a blog tour and I'm reading Crescendo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great book week. I really enjoyed Crescendo. Hope you do too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another great selection of books! I especially like the looks of Eternal, as I love anthologies. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooh, I bet KidLit Con was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh the fledgeling handbook I need to go get that seeng as how I have the books it should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great books this week! I really liked Split, Absolute Value, and Crescendo. I hope you enjoy all of the books you received this week! Happy reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. you will love Carney (of the aforementioned house party) and all of Betsy Tacy, especially since you're from Minnesota - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh you have some great ones!! I have quite a few of those on my list too... Happy reading!

    xoxo
    jennie

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!