Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Review: Radiance by Alyson Noel

Radiance
Author: Alyson Noel
Publication: Square Fish; First Edition edition (August 31, 2010)


Description: Riley has crossed the bridge into the afterlife—a place called Here, where time is always Now. She has picked up life where she left off when she was alive, living with her parents and dog in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. When she’s summoned before The Council, she learns that the afterlife isn’t just an eternity of leisure. She’s been assigned a job, Soul Catcher, and a teacher, Bodhi, a possibly cute, seemingly nerdy boy who’s definitely hiding something. They return to earth together for Riley’s first assignment, a Radiant Boy who’s been haunting a castle in England for centuries. Many Soul Catchers have tried to get him to cross the bridge and failed. But all of that was before he met Riley . . . 


My Thoughts: This was a fun, quick read. Riley is having some trouble adjusting to the afterlife. She is still visiting the viewing room so that she can check up on her sister Ever. She lingered longer than most in the Summerland. Now she learns that each person in the afterlife is place where they can do the most good or are the most satisfied. Riley is placed as a Soul Catcher and sent back to Earth to convince a reluctant spirit that it  is time to move on. 


Riley is sent with a guide - Bodhi - who first appears in Riley's view to be a Dork Boy. He looks like the ultimate nerd and Riley, who is not fond of authority anyway, has trouble taking him seriously. She does manage her first assignment with relative ease and then assist's Bodhi to complete his own assignment. Along the way she becomes more reconciled to her new existence.


I was especially fond of Riley's snarky voice and comments. I also liked her relationship with her dog Buttercup. I liked the tentative friendship that she developed with Bodhi. I will be eager to read other adventures in future books.



Favorite Quote:
So I cleared my throat and focused hard on my shoes, saying, "Okay, so maybe I was a bit of a brat." I shrugged, trying to keep it casual and relaxed. "But the thing is, last time I checked that wasn't exactly listed as one of the sins, right?" I looked up desperate for a little confirmation, understanding, something, and I found it in Aurora--the one person I could count on, the one I chose to focus on.
Challenges: RYOB Reading Challenge, Paranormal Reading Challenge, In the Middle Reading Challenge


6 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this book; I'm usually not into these types of books, but I'm a fan of Alyson's blog and I think I should give her writing a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy of this one and I'm looking forward to reading it. Great review - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is sitting on my TBR pile, hope I can bump it up! Alyson Noel is an awesome author, hopefully I'll like Radiance. Thanks for your great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it. It looks so fun (I don't think that is the right word) and cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read the Immortal series but still need to read Radiance. I loved your review! I have a feeling I'm going to adore the relationship between Riley and Buttercup, so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one waiting for me to read. I wasn't a fan of her YA series so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this one more. Sounds a bit like Elsewhere, which I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!