Friday, November 26, 2010

Book Beginning: Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.


Here is the beginning of Lament by Maggie Stiefvater. I read the book a while ago but I am using it as an example for my sixth graders as we prepare Wordle book ads.
He didn't know how long he had been clinging there. Long enough for the bone-cold water to drive the feeling from his legs. Long enough for his fingers to tire of holding his head above water. 
Talk about dropping the reader right in the middle of the action. Who can read that and not continue to read to find out who he is and why he is in such a dangerous predicament. 



3 comments:

  1. Makes me want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're right...dropped right into the middle of the action. Makes the reader have to keep on going.

    Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/11/book-beginnings-on-friday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book, and the beginning makes me even more interested!

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!