Friday, November 12, 2010

Book Beginning: Wren Journeymage by Sherwood Smith

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

I was recently reading Sherwood Smith's blog and discovered that she had written another book about Wren -- Wren Journeymage. I am a big fan of that middle grade fantasy series and had to get the new story. I downloaded it to my Kindle.

The first couple of sentences are:
Wren peered out the open window of her room at Cantirmoor's Magic School. The sun shone on tree branches sprouting fuzzy green buds. Birdsong carried on the breeze that smelled like new grass and turned soil...so what was wrong?
The sentence jumps right into the action. I am determined not to go back and read the first three books again. I am hoping to catch on to what is going on. The last book in the trilogy was published in 1995. There have been an awful lot of books taking up brain space since I read them. 




2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's captivating...I love when openers use sensory experiences to grab the reader.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I know how you feel about not wanting to go back and re-read books you've already read.

    I know I'm behind, but I wanted to thank you for participating in Book Beginnings. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!