Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Review: Crave by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz

Crave
Authors: Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz
Publication: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing; Original edition (September 21, 2010)


Description: Shay could never do the things her friends could--never try out for sports, never go to parties, never fall in love. Because of the mysterious and incurable blood disorder she was born with, she can barely make it through three days of school a week. 


But now, her doctor-turned-stepfather has a brand-new treatment that he thinks will change everything. And it does. As soon as the new blood starts pumping into Shay's veins, she has visions of a different life...Gabriel's life. She sees an orphanage, loss, fangs, blood, and lust that she can't explain.


Is Gabriel real? And if he is, could he really be what she thinks he is?


My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this story. Shay was a fascinating character. She has lived all her seventeen years as "the sick girl." She has an incurable blood disorder that requires frequent transfusions. But her doctor-stepfather has found something new and the blood that Shay has been getting lately is causing some interesting effects. She feels much stronger than she ever did before and, when she has her transfusions, she is seeing visions of another life. She is seeing snippets of the life of a boy named Gabriel. But she wonders if the visions are true or just a by-product of the blood transfusions.


Things really take off when she sees a vision and knows that she is seeing her stepfather Martin's clinic. When she explores, she finds that Gabriel is real and being held prisoner to supply her with blood. She frees him and they both flee from the evil stepfather and Shay's loving mother. The two learn quite a bit about each other as they are on the run.


I liked Shay and thought her portrayal was very realistic. She is tired of being on the outside of everyday activities. She wants to live every day to the fullest and try out all sorts of new things. She knows she is dying but doesn't want to die before she has really lived.


Gabriel is an ancient vampire. He has sort of lost the joy of living because of a number of things that have happened to him. I liked the portrayal of vampires as people who have families and emotions and loves. 


The only thing that I didn't like about this quick-reading novel was the cliffhanging ending. I can't wait until the next book - Arise - is published in September of 2011. I think this book will satisfy those readers who like some romance in their paranormals.


Favorite Quote:
"Don't you miss it? Don't you want it back?" Shay asked. "Now that I've had a chance to be out in the world and try to suck the marrow out of life--I can't remember who said that--"


"Thoreau," Gabriel said softly.


"Right. Now that I've had that, I don't want to give it up. Even if I lived a thousand years, I wouldn't. That's what I've realized. Before I was just surviving, being careful so my body would keep going for one more day. But being truly alive...that's different. It's the whole point of everything. Without that feeling, why even bother living?"

3 comments:

  1. I have an ARC of this book and keep meaning to read it, but haven't gotten to it yet. I haven't read a vampire novel in a while and this one sounds great, so I'm looking forward to it. Thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you reviewed this book. I've seen the cover around, but it never really grabbed me. Your review DID grab me and now I've added it to my TBR. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the premise of this book. Sounds very interesting. I tend not to be a fan of cliffhangers though.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!