Friday, December 10, 2010

Book Beginnings: Grounded by Kate Klise

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.


Here is the first sentence of Grounded by Kate Klise:
I'm alive today because I was grounded.


Thus begins this middle grade novel. I know I had to keep reading. Here is the book description:


After her brother, sister, and father die in a plane crash, Daralynn Oakland receives 237 dolls from well-wishers, resulting in her nickname: Dolly. But dolls are little comfort to a twelve-year-old girl whose world is rocked by the dramatic changes in her life, including her angry, grieving mother’s new job as a hairstylist at the local funeral home.


Dolly gets a job, too, where she accidentally invents a fashionable new haircut. But her real work begins when a crematorium comes to town, and someone has to save a dying business, solve a burning mystery, and resuscitate the broken hearts in Digginsville, Missouri, population 402.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm not usually a fan of YA or Middle Grade books, but I've been known to read some that sound fabulous...and this one does. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine:

    (I'm Laurel-Rain Snow - click my ID)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!