Friday, January 14, 2011

Book Beginning: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 


Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 


If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.


My beginning today is from the young adult dystopia Delirium written by Lauren Oliver. This tells the story of a young woman growing up in a world where love has been identified as a disease and a cure has been found. Here is the product description:
Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.
Here is the beginning:
It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three years since the scientists perfected the cure.
This was a very interesting and thought-provoking novel. I enjoyed watching Lena grow and change throughout the book as she learned more about her society and as she fell in love with Alex. 


I read this book as an eARC from NetGalley. It will be published on February 1. I recommend it to lovers of The Hunger Games trilogy and/or Romeo and Juliet

4 comments:

  1. I have been noticing this one around...I like the idea of love as a disease...puts a whole new twist on it! LOL

    Here's mine:

    http://snowconnections.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/friday-memes-beginnings-friday-56-jan-14/

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Love as a disease?" That gets my interest. Authors are really special. Their imagination or what might become true is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished this book through NetGalley too. I loved it. Though I was really bummed by the ending, even though I understand why Oliver ended it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reminds me of a Robert Silverberg novel. I wish I could remember which one...I want to say Dying Inside, but not sure. Same sorts of themes. Sounds like a good one.

    Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/01/book-beginnings-on-friday_14.html

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!