Sunday, January 23, 2011

In My YA Mailbox (Jan. 23, 2011)

The weekly In My Mailbox post is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It is fun to see what everyone else gets in their mailboxes, shopping bags, and library visits. Click on the link to The Story Siren's site to see the rules and join in the fun.
 
I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the wonderful books everyone gets. You will discover lots of great blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without.

I got print books, ebooks, and review books this week. First, the books I bought.
I got Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan after I learned that she is very ill. She has been diagnosed with Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer that has metastasized to her liver. I read the ARC of The Mermaid's Mirror and really liked it but hadn't had a chance to read her first book. Her author Class of 2009 is giving away 40 sets of her books and so is her publisher. I will be receiving a set for my HS library too.

I really liked Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game but haven't been keeping up with his more recent work. I decided to buy the first books in two new young adult series that he has started. Pathfinder is a combination of science fiction and fantasy and got a starred review from Booklist. The Lost Gate combines fantasy and urban fantasy.

I received these free books for my Kindle.
Origin Scroll by Richard S. Tuttle is a fantasy and is the first in a series. I have never heard of the series before.

Magyk is the first book in the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. We have the series in my media centers but I have never read it. This one also has some kind of bonus material.

Hollywood Nobody by Lisa Sampson is also first in a series. This is a contemporary story.

Finally, I received these books for review this week.
I received You Killed Wesley Payne by Sean Beaudoin from Angelo at Blog Reach Solutions. It is a well-reviewed mystery written in the noir mode with a 17-year-old hard boiled detective. It is a work of dark humor. My review will be posted on Jan. 27 and Sean Beaudoin will be guest posting on my blog soon.

Enclave by Ann Aguirre is her first YA. I do have a couple of her adult books somewhere on my TBR stack. This sounds like still another entrant into the dystopia genre. It will be published on April 12.

I also received The Genius Files: Mission Unstoppable by Dan Gutman from LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. I had already read the eARC from NetGalley. This was a fun, middle grade story with larger than life characters. My review is here.

That was my mailbox. Did you get anything interesting in yours?


11 comments:

  1. Hearing a lot of excitement about Ann's YA book. Can't wait to see your review! I did read her Blue Diablo and it wasn't too bad!

    Here's my IMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab books this week. Enclave sounds awesome. Hope you enjoy them all! You can see what I got in my mailbox here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thanks for the heads up about the free Kindle books! I just downloaded Hollywood Nobody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books this week! My students love the Magyk series- that book is always flying off my classroom shelf. Enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new Dan Gutman, my student's will be so excited, they love him! I can't keep any of his books on my shelf at my one school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sounding books this week, especially Pathfinder and Flash Burnout. Happy reading. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mailbox! I just finished The Lost Gate and really enjoyed it. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those all look like awesome books! I hope you enjoy them all!

    My IMM post is here

    Happy Reading,
    Zakiya LadyWings

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, LOVED Flash Burnout by L.K. Madigan. I could not believe that it was a woman who wrote it because the teen boy protag. voice was so spot on! It is like she got into a boy's head - so amazing. It was so humorous, authentic and raw. I can't wait to see what you think about it.

    I was so saddened by her news as well. I hope that everyone goes out and reads her books. Such wonderful reads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome haul! Thank you for sharing :)

    New Follower!!!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man, flash burnout has been on my tbr foreverrrrr. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!