Monday, February 7, 2011

Book Buying Ban Week 1

I thought that I should write a post each week to make myself accountable for my goal of not buying any books in February and actually reducing the number of books on my TBR stack.

When I began my challenge, I had 1020 books marked TBR on my LibraryThing account. I was appalled. These were not books that I wished to read someday. These were books that were actually in my possession in either print form in piles around my house or on digital form on my Kindle.

I devised a strategy to reduce the piles (and the guilt). First, I would not purchase any new books in February. Second, I would go through the mountain of young adult books and donate those I was least likely to read to my HS media center.

Since we had a "snow day" on Wednesday, I had plenty of time to sort through the stacks of young adult books around my house. I donated 60 books - three big bags. I know that, if I ever find the time to read them, they will still be available to me as long as I work at the media center. And, meanwhile, my students can enjoy the books I just couldn't find time to read.

I also checked my records. I had forgotten to remove the TBR tag from some of the books that I had actually read.

Today (actually Saturday afternoon) I have 969 books marked TBR.

My next goal is to stop adding free books to my Kindle. This one is much harder. I hate to pass up a bargain and don't want to miss an opportunity. They don't take up space but they do inflate the TBR list. This week I added 8 free books to the TBR. Next week, my goal is 0.

5 comments:

  1. Well, then, hopefully they won't have any freebies that you like. I will admit, though, that I grab them either way because I might want to read xx someday. It's a terrible thing! But ever since I got caught thinking I'd hate a book that my book club chose the next month I just grab them & weed 'em out later.
    You're doing a terrific job! WAY TO GO!!
    I did buy a book last week. I've been waiting forever to get my hands on Michelle Sutton's new book Letting Go and BN had it on sale for 2.99 so I broke out the gift card. Ah, well, 1 book purchase in 3 months is acceptable, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome that your students will benefit from this ban! Good work, Ms. Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! The students will be so appreciative; see-- it was money well spent, just maybe not the way you originally intended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your challenge. I am impressed by how far you narrowed down your list. Book buying seems to be a bit of an addiction for those of us who love books. It is a hard habit to break. Best wishes, and hope your TBR pile gets more manageable soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the ban! I have a hard time resisting free eBooks as well, so feel your pain. You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!