Sunday, February 13, 2011

In My YA Mailbox (Feb. 13, 2011)



The weekly In My Mailbox post is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It is fun to see what everyone else gets in their mailboxes, shopping bags, and library visits. Click on the link to The Story Siren's site to see the rules and join in the fun.
I guarantee that your TBR pile will grow when you see all the wonderful books everyone gets. You will discover lots of great blogs and lots of books that you won't be able to live without.

I am still on a book buying ban but was weak and bought a book this week. Two others arrived that I bought in January.
I bought Too Many Frogs by Sandy Asher for my Elementary Media Center. It is a cute story about the joy of reading and sharing books with friends. A teacher came in looking for this title. I decided we had to have it after I heard her description of the story and heard her enthusiasm for it. This was my Valentine gift to my students.

I also got Red Moon Rising by Peter Moore because I am a fan of werewolves and vampires and wanted to read the story of a boy who is both. I also thought that this would have more appeal for my male readers because of the male main character. I ordered this one before my book buying ban began.

And, a second book I ordered before my book buying ban began arrived. I am collecting the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan and just got volume 3. I am going to wait to read the series until I have collected all five volumes. Then I plan to have a Sweep marathon. One of my students received most of the books for Christmas and tells me that I will like them.

I also received quite a number for review this week. I got these from NetGalley.
Shine by Lauren Myracle will be the first book I read by her. It is a contemporary mystery about hate crimes in a Southern town. It will be published on May 1.

The Atomic Weight of Secrets or The Arrival of the Mysterious Men in Black by Eden Unger Bowditch intrigued me with its blurb. It is a story about science and friendship and will be published on March 15. It is labelled young adult but the age of the characters makes me think that this will appeal to middle grade students too.
Angel Burn by L. A. Weatherly is the start of a new trilogy and is a young adult paranormal. I will admit that I was seduced into choosing this book because of the lovely cover. It will be published on May 15.

No Place Like Holmes by Jason Lethcoe is a middle grade historical mystery. Here is the product description: 
When Griffin is sent to stay with his detective uncle at 221B Baker Street for the summer, he is certain that his uncle must be the great Sherlock Holmes! But Griffin is disappointed to discover that Holmes lives at 221A Baker Street and his uncle lives unit 221B. His uncle is a detective, just not a very good one. But when Griffin meets a woman with a case that Holmes has turned away for being too ridiculous, he and his uncle team up to help her. Along the way, Griffin shows his uncle just what it means to have true faith in God, even when the case challenges that.  The woman claims that her husband was eaten by the Loch Ness Monster, but monsters aren't real-or are they?

I also accepted some books for review after being contacted by their authors. 
Griffin Rising by Darby Karchut is her debut novel. She is a social studies teacher in Colorado. The book will be released on June 15. Here is the product description: 
The only creature who can harm an angel is another angel.
Armed with the power to control the ancient elements of Earth and Fire, sixteen year old Griffin is determined to complete his apprenticeship and rise to the rank of Terrae Angeli. 
But first, he must overcome a brutal past if he is to survive in this world. Will the perseverance of his mentor and the love of a mortal girl give Griffin the courage he needs to triumph over the monster still haunting him?
Hex, A Witch and Angel Tale by Ramona Wray. This book was recently published at CreateSpace. Here is the summary: 
Like most girls at Rosemound High School, seventeen-year-old Lily Crane is acutely aware of Ryder Kingscott. Hands down the cutest guy in school, Ryder is cool, mysterious, and utterly untouchable...especially for Lily. For when she touches someone, Lily instantly learns all about their lives. And while such a skill might seem nifty, in truth it is wrecking Lily's life. So she is shocked when Ryder asks her out - and even more shocked to discover he has a rival. Lucian Bell is the gorgeous new kid who can't take his eyes off of Lily. Being pursued by two hotties should make a girl happy, but Lily is skeptical. The boys act as if they've met before, hating each other with a passion that could only be rooted in a dark, dangerous past. A past full of terrible secrets. The kind of secrets that could get a girl killed.
Deed So by Katharine A. Russell is historical fiction about the 1960s and the great social changes that were happening then told from the viewpoint of a young, bright Southern girl. I will be doing my review on March 7 and having a guest post by Ms. Russell on March 8.

Under the Green Hill by Laura L. Sullivan is an upper middle grade fantasy about some children who get caught in the middle of a fairy war. This book was published on Oct. 26, 2010 and the sequel is coming this fall. 


Those were my additions to my TBR stack this week. What did you choose?

17 comments:

  1. Nice books this week! I want to read Red Moon Rising and Shine. I agree that Red Moon Rising appears to be more guy friendly. I look forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice set of books! I got Angel Burn as well!

    Old Follower
    Here's my IMM

    Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books this week! I really want to read Red Moon Rising and all of your other books look great as well- especially the MG ones. I could use some new MG books for my 6th graders! Enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing so well on your buying ban.
    Amazing book week. I am loving the sound of all of them. Look forward to yoru reviews:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will enjoy the Sweep series. I read (most of) them back when they were separate books. :-) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Angel (or Angel Burn, which is the new us title). Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read Angel Burn and Red Moon Rising. It seems like everyone likes them, I hope you will too! Thanks for stopping by my blog! : )

    http://faybaysbooks.blogspot.com/2011/02/imm.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cover of Shine and the synopsis sounds interesting. I have a feeling it will be a worthwhile read that makes a few waves. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greatr books thais week! Hope you enjoy the Sweeps books, they've been on my wishlist for a few years but I could never find them (I'll have to look into getting the reprints).
    Happy reading. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, in response to the Jessica Darling series being appropriate for high schoolers.. it depends. Sex is referenced quite a bit, however, not in a dirty way. These books are not in the YA section, they are actually found in the Adult section even though the story is about a teenage girl. I think it has a more mature vibe to it. I would think these books would need a heavy disclaimer before offering them to high school kids. HOWEVER I think high school kids could totally relate to it. The message is real & honest & I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab books! I really want to read Red Moon Rising and Shine.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab books this week. Hope you enjoy them! You can see what I got in my mailbox here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Red Moon Rising, Shine, and Angel Burn all sound like fantastic reads! I actually have access to the last two I mentioned and am looking forward to reading them!

    Have a great week, be safe, and happy reading!

    Asher K. (Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice mailbox! I love the cover of Angel Burn, so totally understand you being seduced by it! Enjoy!

    Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, great mailbox! Shine sounds so good, looking forward to your thoughts on it. And oooh, Angel Burn looks gorgeous, I hope the book is as good as the cover. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got a lot of books in spite of your book buying ban! It really is hard not to buy books especially when you see so many nice ones featured in other blogs. I hope you enjoy reading the books that you got. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd never heard of The Atomic Weight of Secrets or The Arrival of the Mysterious Men in Black. Sounds really interesting. Thanks for the heads up-- adding to my TBR list on Goodreads!

    Laura Hartness

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!