Friday, March 4, 2011

Book Beginning: Deed So by Katharine A. Russell

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 


Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 


If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.


My beginning this week is from Deed So by Katharine A. Russell. This is an historical fiction novel set in the 1960s in the Southern United States. That was a time of turmoil and racial tensions. I received this book for review from the author.


It begins:
I was a waitress for Christ. Recruited into the legions of church supper servers, who answered the call across the South every fall, I reported to our parish hall and delivered platter upon steaming platter of artery-choking victuals to appreciative suspender-slapping locals and city folk who came down in sleek motor coaches.

3 comments:

  1. That is an absolutely beautiful cover! And that's quite an opener. "artery-choking victuals to appreciative suspender-slapping locals..."

    Here's my Beginning: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/03/book-beginnings-on-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good opening and a georgious cover. Here's mine: http://mostraum.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/book-beginnings-on-friday-march-4th-2011/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading this one! Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!