Saturday, April 30, 2011

ARC Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter
Publication: Harlequin; Original edition (April 19, 2011)


Description: It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.


Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.


Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.


My Thoughts: This was an incredibly touching story. Kate is holding on her to dying mother with everything she has when she arrives in Eden. She can't accept that her mother is going to be gone soon. She begins school, according to her mother's wishes, and meets some other kids - James who is a lonely outsider, Dylan the school golden boy, and Ava who is Dylan's girlfriend and jealous of anyone who catches his eye. Kate accepts an invitation to a party from Ava at her mother's urging. When she finds that Ava has planned a prank, she is angry. But when Ava is hurt while diving into a river, Kate puts aside her terror of drowning to help her. Ava dies but Henry, a strange and handsome young man, offers her a bargain. He will save Ava if Kate agrees to come live with him in two weeks. She agrees.


Next thing she knows, Ava is better and Kate has a promise to keep. When her mother takes a turn for the worse, she tells Henry that she can't keep her promise. When Ava dies, Kate goes to Henry to make a new deal. Henry will give Kate time to say goodbye to her mother if she agrees to stay with him for half the year. Kate has to take a number of tests to prove that she is worthy to be Henry's companion and co-ruler of the Underworld. Unfortunately, this same deal has been offered to eleven girls before her and all of them have died. Kate will win immortality if she passes the tests and will either die or have her memory of her time with Henry erased if she fails.


This was a great story about a girl who is struggling with grief but who is determined not to lose anyone else she loves or to let others lose their loves. Kate doesn't believe that Henry is a god at first. She is strongly rational but his actions convince her. I liked how the story didn't have Kate instantly in love with Henry but gave their love a chance to grow as they learned to know each other. 


I liked the blending of Greek mythology into the story. I will admit that I don't know as much as I could about the topic but I could see Henry as Hades. I recommend this story to lovers of mythology, sad stories, and romance. 


Favorite Quote:
"It's nice to meet you."

Everything about the way she looked at me screamed she wanted nothing more than to take me out into the woods and bury me alive. "It's a pleasure to meet you, too."
I received this eARC from Harlequin Teen via NetGalley. It is available now as both a paperback and ebook at Amazon.

3 comments:

  1. You have just increased my need for this book :D Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this cover all over the place, but this is the first review I've actually taken the time to read. Every year our 6th graders learn about Greek mythology and I think The Godess Test could be an interesting pick for a lit. circle read! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Sorry to bother you but I'm going round blogs that have read The Goddess Test, me and another blogger are hosting a discussion on Saturday at 11pm GMT, where anyone who's read the book can discuss it with other bloggers. I was wondering if you'd be interested? You can find out more about it here: http://comacalm.blogspot.com/p/read-along.html

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!