Saturday, April 2, 2011

Review: Shimmer by Alyson Noel

Shimmer
Author: Alyson Noel
Publication: Square Fish; First Edition edition (March 15, 2011)


Description: Having solved the matter of the Radiant Boy, Riley, Buttercup, and Bodhi are enjoying a well-deserved vacation. When Riley comes across a vicious black dog, against Bodhi’s advice, she decides to cross him over. While following the dog, she runs into a young ghost named Rebecca. Despite Rebecca’s sweet appearance, Riley soon learns she’s not at all what she seems. As the daughter of a former plantation owner, she is furious about being murdered during a slave revolt in 1733. Mired in her own anger, Rebecca is lashing out by keeping the ghosts who died along with her trapped in their worst memories. Can Riley help Rebecca forgive and forget without losing herself to her own nightmarish memories?


My Thoughts: This second adventure for Riley and Bodhi starts with them on vacation in St. John. Riley is feeling pretty cocky after her success in being the one to get the ghost in her first adventure to move on to the afterlife. She is her usual self in regard to Bodhi too. She is not willing to listen to him and let him guide her. When she sees a demon dog, she is determined to send him on to the afterlife. Chasing after the dog introduces her to Rebecca who is also a ghost. Rebecca is the daughter of a plantation owner and was killed in a slave revolt. She is incredibly angry. Not only is she not moving on, she is trapping the souls of the others who were killed in the same revolt that she blames for her predicament.


Rebecca has the power to trap souls and to make them relive their most horrible memories. Riley gets trapped in a horrible Kindergarten memory. Bodhi relives a bullying incident when he didn't step in to help the person being bullied. 


I liked Riley in this story. I liked that she always acted out of good intentions. She has a good heart. But I do wish she would cut Bodhi a break. I like him too and think that Riley underestimates him.


I recommend this series to middle schoolers. I think they would enjoy the characters and the story.


Favorite Quote:
All I knew was despite the abundance of sparkles and bows and curls, this was one little ghost girl who wasn't made of sugar and spice and everything nice.
Watch the trailer:

I received this book for review from Tara at Zeitghost Media. It is available to purchase at Amazon in print and Kindle editions.



2 comments:

  1. Nice review :) Might read it! The trailer seemed kinda childish to me but maybe it was only because it was narrated by a child... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eleven year-old cousin really enjoyed the first book. I'm going to see if I can pick up the second one for her, because I think she'll like it!

    Stopped by from the Saturday Network!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!