Thursday, May 26, 2011

ARC Review: Mercy by Rebecca Lim

Mercy
Author: Rebecca Lim
Publication: Hyperion Book CH (May 17, 2011)


Description: A fallen angel haunted by her past.  Yearning for her immortal beloved. Forever searching for answers.Who will show her Mercy?

Mercy has lost herself. She can’t count how many times she’s “woken up” in a new body, and assumed a new life, only to move on again and again. During the day she survives in the human world on instinct and at night her dreams are haunted by him. Mercy’s heart would know him anywhere. But her memory refuses to cooperate.

But this time is different. When Mercy wakes up she meets Ryan, an eighteen year old reeling from the loss of his twin sister who was kidnapped two years ago. Everyone else has given up hope, but Ryan believes his sister is still alive. Using a power she doesn’t fully comprehend, Mercy realizes that Ryan is right. His sister is alive and together they can find her. For the first time since she can remember, Mercy has a purpose; she can help. So she doesn’t understand why the man in her dreams cautions her not to interfere. But as Ryan and Mercy come closer to solving the dark mystery of his sister’s disappearance, danger looms just one step behind.

Will Mercy be able to harness her true self and extraordinary power in time?

The first in a dazzling new series, Mercy masterfully weaves romance, mystery and the supernatural into a spell-binding tale.


My Thoughts: What an amazing story! From the very first, when we wake up with Mercy on a bus going to a music program and in a body unfamiliar to her, we are sucked into this first person story and learning along with Mercy. She has done this before. She drops into other girls' lives, stays a while, and then moves on. She doesn't know how or why. The only consistency in her life is that when she sleeps she meets with Luc who is urging her to find him and to stay away from the eight.


Mercy's new body belongs to a sixteen-year-old girl named Carmen who is hanging around on the outskirts of the popular crowd but who has an amazing voice. The bus is on the way to a musical exchange program. The girls will be staying with host families and performing a work by Mahler. Carmen's host family is suffering unbelievable pain. Two years before their daughter Lauren was snatched from her home and no trace of her has been found. Lauren's twin Ryan is convinced that she is still alive and has put his life on hold to search for her. Carmen (Mercy) feels compelled to help him. She has the ability to touch someone and take a look at their soul.


The story revolves around the search for Lauren and the choir rehearsals with all the attendant jealousies felt by young performers. Because Lauren was a gifted soprano, Mercy feels that someone who is practicing for the musical event knows something. Is it the retired choir director? The mousy director who wants to give Carmen special lessons? Or the beautiful Paul Stenborg who all the girls have a crush on?


Along the way Mercy also tries to figure out what is happening to her. What is she? Who is she? Why is she going from life to life?


This was an excellent, page-turning story. I didn't want to stop reading until I had reached the stunning conclusion. I very much look forward to the sequels that will be following this one. I recommend it to young adults who enjoy paranormal mysteries. I think they will be as enthralled as I was. 


Favorite Quote:
When I look into the mirror, I see this face -- mine. I have learned to recognize it, a palimpsest of a face, a ghost's face -- within another's, a stranger's. Our reflections co-existing. I am her and she is me, we, together, inhabit the same body.
I received this eARC from NetGalley. You can purchase the hardcover book and ebook for your Kindle at Amazon. 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! Thank you for the review! You've just encouraged me to prioritize reading this. I'm actually struggling with my ebook pile since I don't have an ebook reader yet. But I think this one will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I just bought this book and looking forward to reading it! :) Really like the quote you've included! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!