Monday, May 16, 2011

ARC Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Ruby Red
Author: Kerstin Gier
Publication: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR); First Edition edition (May 10, 2011)


Description: Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!


Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.


My Thoughts: I enjoyed this time travel story very much. Gwyneth is a great character. She is a typical teenage girl with friends and interests in movies and fashion. She has one small quirk, she sees and talks to ghosts and gargoyles. One of her friends is the young aristocrat who haunts the school she attends. It was his former home after all. It is her cousin Charlotte who has been prepared since she was a child to be the time traveler in the family. She has been trained and introduced to the secrets of the Guardians. Charlotte's mother has raised her daughter to feel superior. 


Unfortunately, because her mother lied about her birthday to protect her, it is Gwyneth who is actually the one who travels in time. Her mother had hoped that the time travel gene would pass her by. The time travelers are trying to prime an instrument with the blood of all twelve time travelers to complete a prophecy. 


The other time traveler in this generation is Gideon de Villiers. He has also been trained since childhood for his role and immediately tries to boss Gwyneth around. Too bad his personality doesn't match his hot exterior!


the problem in this story is that the two time travelers before Gideon and Gwyneth stole the chronograph that allows the time traveler to control when and where they travel to because they disagreed with the idea of completing the prophecy. Gideon has been trying to get a second chronograph ready which requires that he get some blood samples from all the previous time travelers. He doesn't think Gwyneth will be any help.


Gwyneth's mother is very suspicious of the Guardians. She was best friends with the previous female traveler - Lucy - and believed her version of the role of the Guardians. 


This was a very interesting and entertaining story. I am really looking forward the to rest of this trilogy. I think any reader who wants to read about an ordinary girl doing extraordinary things will enjoy this one.


Favorite Quote:
I hadn't run into a vintage car rally, and the magnolia hadn't suddenly lost all its leaves. And although I'd have given anything to see Nicole Kidman suddenly come around the corner, this was not, unfortunately, the set of a film from a Henry James novel.
I knew exactly what had happened. I simply knew. And I also knew that there must be some mistake.

I'd landed in another time.
I received this ARC from an ad in Shelf Awareness. The book is available in hardcover, for the Kindle, and in audiobook formats.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE time travel. Will definitely take a look at this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love time travel and reading about ordinary girls doing extraordinary things :) I can't wait for my library system to send me a copy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!