Friday, May 13, 2011

Book Beginning & Friday 56: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Happy Friday everybody!!

Book Beginnings
 
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 

Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 

If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.
 
The Friday 56

Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Today I have Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier in my hand. I received this book for review via an ad in Shelf Awareness. It is a young adult time travel story where the wrong girl inherits the time travel gene and is unprepared for the adventure.

Beginning:
I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning. For a moment it was like being on a roller-coaster when you're racing down from the very top.
Friday 56:
"But Mr. Bean doesn't have any fur," said Caroline. "And he'll be in his terrarium all the time. He won't be in anyone's way."
For my beginning sentence I took the first couple of sentences from Chapter One. I didn't use the beginning of the Prologue or the quote from The Chronicles of the Guardians, Volume 2: General Laws of Time Travel even though I know they must be giving major hints about where the story is going to go.

I have no idea what is happening on page 56. To the best of my knowledge the main character is named Gwennie. But I have just begun the book and am not yet anywhere near page 56.


6 comments:

  1. I love Mr. Bean... if it's the same, which I doubt.
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That beginning certainly gets your attention. I read a time travel book earlier this year "My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time" - took me a while to get into it but it was quite fun in the end. I reviewed it here if you're interested:
    http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/03/book-14-my-dirty-little-book-of-stolen.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy,

    Whilst I have to admit that your book doesn't come within my usual reading genres, I am going to try new material and expand my hoizons a little and your lines and the synopsis I found, sound very intriguing.
    I also love the cover art, one of the best I have seen for some time.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started this one too and I almost picked the same "56" as you but changed my mind at the last minute.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am drawn to this title and cover, and now the opener piques my curiosity. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!