Friday, June 17, 2011

Book Beginning & Friday 56: After Midnight by Lynn Viehl

Happy Friday everybody!!

Book Beginnings
 
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 

Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 

If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.
 
The Friday 56

Rules:

  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.
This week I chose After Midnight by Lynn Viehl. This is her young adult book. I have read some of the books in her adult Darkyn series and enjoyed them. I am eager to see what I think about a young adult book by her. It has been described as Twilight crossed with Romeo & Juliet which makes it sound interesting to me.
Here is the product description:

Ever since the death of their parents, Catlyn Youngblood and her two older brothers have shared a nomadic existence, always moving from place to place. When they at last settle for good in the sleepy backwoods town of Lost Lake, Florida, Cat thinks she might finally have a normal life.


While riding her horse late one night, Cat meets an enigmatic boy named Jesse Raven. Even more strange than her overpowering attraction to him is Jesse's apparent aversion to daylight. Only under the cover of darkness can they meet. As Cat and Jesse's bond grows stronger, Cat discovers an incredible secret about the Ravens' and her own family's pasts—a secret that could destroy their love. Their families, knowing the truth, conspire to keep them apart. But Cat and Jesse will risk everything to be together . . . including death.
Beginning:
Family secrets are like terrible birthday gifts. They're always stuff you never wanted but have to keep anyway because someone you love gave them to you. 
Friday 56:
"Oatmeal." Trick looked a little guilty. "I know, you hate it, but we're out of everything else."

8 comments:

  1. Yep, I don't like oatmeal either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love oatmeal!
    Thanks for participating, I added you to the Linky again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great beginning - oh so true!!!

    http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/06/book-beginningson-friday_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great beginning! I haven't seen this book before (but I don't read a lot of YA, either). Enjoy!

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great beginning! Sounds like a good one!

    Here are my Friday Memes: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/06/friday-memes_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of this book, the beginning is intriguing. I would pick this one up.
    The Road to Here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant first sentence. Muy verdad!

    Here is my post: Beautiful & Pointless. I hope you will stop by. And I hope you will enter my June Giveaway. I'll be giving away a copy of Anna and the French Kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooo, ooo, what's the secret. i'm properly teased now ;-D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!