Friday, June 24, 2011

Book Beginning & Friday 56: Flying Blind by Deborah Cooke

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages.

Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading.

If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

The Friday 56
Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


Today I picked Flying Blind by Deborah Cooke. This is her first young adult book but is set in the world of her adult dragon stories and is about the only female dragon who is now a teenager. I am not totally caught up on her adult series but the ones I have read have been very enjoyable. 


I chose this one because it is her Young Adult Debut and because I really like books about dragons. I have just picked it up and read little more than the first two sentences below. I am eager to find out what happens next.


Beginning:
There was a guy in my bedroom.

It was six in the morning and I didn't know him.

I'm not much of a morning person, but that woke me up fast.
Friday 56:
Donovan went into the living room and returned with a box, which he placed on the table. It was the perfect distraction. 
The first sentence startled me and was startling to the main character. The Friday 56 makes me wonder what is in the box and what it is distracting them from.

5 comments:

  1. Can't imagine how it must feel to see a stranger in your bedroom. I would feel spooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the cover! Boxes do make great distractions.
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would wake me up fast too! Sounds like fun.

    http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/06/book-beginningson-friday_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great beginning! It has an element of suspense and humor to it at the same time.

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books about Dragons too. I haven't heard of this series before but the first line definitely has me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!