Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: After Midnight by Lynn Viehl

After Midnight
Author: Lynn Viehl
Publication: Flux (May 8, 2011)


Description: Ever since the death of their parents, Catlyn Youngblood and her two older brothers have shared a nomadic existence, always moving from place to place. When they at last settle for good in the sleepy backwoods town of Lost Lake, Florida, Cat thinks she might finally have a normal life.


While riding her horse late one night, Cat meets an enigmatic boy named Jesse Raven. Even more strange than her overpowering attraction to him is Jesse's apparent aversion to daylight. Only under the cover of darkness can they meet. As Cat and Jesse's bond grows stronger, Cat discovers an incredible secret about the Ravens' and her own family's pasts—a secret that could destroy their love. Their families, knowing the truth, conspire to keep them apart. But Cat and Jesse will risk everything to be together . . . including death.


My Thoughts: Forbidden romance! We have the star-crossed lovers in Cat and Jesse. Cat is fifteen. She lives with her brother Trick and her brother Gray. Since her parents' deaths they have been moving frequently to follow Trick's job in computers. But now they have come to Lost Lake, Florida and Trick says they can stay.


Cat and Gray settle into school which is filled with a number of stereotypical characters including the bullying captain of the football team and the mean girl head cheerleader. She is befriended by a couple of kids who aren't part of the popular crowd. Barb is friendly and has a major crush on the football captain. Ego, short for Diego, was an abandoned child who is in foster care. Since the football captain develops a fascination for her, Cat becomes the target of the mean girl head cheerleader. School is pretty uncomfortable for her.


One night, while riding her horse, she meets Jesse. They become friends but both families want them to stay away from each other. Cat's brother won't explain why. Gradually, Cat uncovers some secrets about her family that change the way she looks at them and at the world around them.

This was a story filled with romance, adventure and lots of unexpected twists and turns. I recommend it to those who like romance with a paranormal twist.


Favorite Quote:
You were acting like a girl who had fallen in love.

I stopped walking, and in that moment, I knew. While I'd been seeing Jesse, I had felt happier and more alive than I'd ever been in my life. Now, without him, I drifted through every day, miserable and hopeless. Trick was right.


I was in love with Jesse.
I bought my copy at Amazon. You can get yours there too in paperback or for the Kindle.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before your review, but it sounds like something that I would like. I will add it to my TBR List :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!