Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review: The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

The Awakening
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publication: HarperCollins; 1 edition (April 28, 2009)


Description: If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I'm as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization called the Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters, I'm a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control; I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.


Now I'm running for my life with three of my supernatural friends—a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch—and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.


My Thoughts: This was definitely the middle book of a trilogy. The whole thing is concerned with middle action in a story arc. Three of the characters from book 1 - Chloe, Simon and Derek - along with the mean girl from book 1 are on the run from the scientists who had put them in a group home and were doing experiments on them. The kids get to display their strengths and weaknesses in this one. 


Chloe is frightened by her new ability to raise the dead. She also is slow to anger and wants the group to get along. Derek is protective of his friends but is critical when he should be supportive and, if you aren't his friend, you are of no interest to him. He is still dealing with no being able to change completely into a werewolf but going through painful partial changes. We don't get to see as much of Simon in this one. When we do see him he is still the charmer who is trying to develop a boyfriend-type relationship with Chloe. We also don't see quite as much of Tori. When we do see her, she is critical, constantly sniping at the others, and careless of her own and others safety.


In order to escape the scientists the kids decide to search for the boys' father. When that isn't successful, they decide to go to a friend of their father's. This story concentrates on that journey. They learn more about the intentions of the scientists who are searching for them. They learn that they were genetically engineered to make them better supernaturals. Unfortunately for all of them, the scientists consider them failed experiments and they are determined to terminate them.

This was a great middle story that more fully established the characters and the problems the characters are facing. I can't wait to read the last book in the trilogy - The Reckoning - to see how the problems are resolved.

This is a fun adventure. However, because the stories follow so closely the previous one, I really recommend that you have all three books at hand - The Summoning, The Awakening, and The Reckoning - before you begin the series. The story is compelling and you will want to know how it works out.


Favorite Quote:
"You can smell everything, can't you? That's cool."

He looked at me, brows lifted. "Being able to find decomposing animals is cool?"

"Well, it's a...unique talent."


"One that will get me far in life."
I bought this one for my Kindle. You can yours in a variety of formats at Amazon too.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Yeah, this is definitely a middle book! I liked it still! The tension is definitely racked up high in this one!

    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this trilogy with my ears and stupidly started with The Awakening, thinking that it was book 1. You know, awakened. Usually I check these things, so the events of book 1 were not much of a surprise for me when I finally did read it - with my ears, of course.

    brenda

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!