Monday, June 13, 2011

Review: The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

The Reckoning
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publication: Harper Collins; 1 edition (April 6, 2010)


Description: My name is Chloe Saunders. I'm fifteen, and I would love to be normal.


But normal is one thing I'm not.


For one thing, I'm having these feelings for a certain antisocial werewolf and his sweet-tempered brother—who just happens to be a sorcerer—but, between you and me, I'm leaning toward the werewolf.


Not normal.


My friends and I are also on the run from an evil corporation that wants to get rid of us—permanently.


Definitely not normal.


And finally, I'm a genetically altered necromancer who can raise the dead, rotting corpses and all, without even trying.


As far away from normal as it gets.


My Thoughts: This was a nice conclusion to an exciting young adult paranormal. Our heroes - Chloe, Tori, Derek and Simon - manage to catch up with Andrew but an attack forces them to move to another "safe house." Only this house isn't very safe for Chloe. There are a number of spirits there who want something from her including one poltergeist who was insane and evil before he died and who hasn't been improved by the afterlife.


The kids are not at all sure who to believe or trust. It seems that everyone has an agenda that requires using the kids as bait or putting them in danger in other ways. Dr. Davidoff and Tori's mother are determined to recapture the kids to eliminate them as failed experiments. Andrew and his group want to use the kids to bring down the Edison Group.


Meanwhile, Chloe and Derek are working on their relationship. Derek is trying to be unselfish because he knows his brother Simon likes her. Chloe just isn't sure. She knows that Simon would be the easier first boyfriend but there are no sparks between them. Chloe wants Derek to treat her as a partner; he seems to see her as someone he has to protect.


This was a great conclusion to the story arc. However, it leaves a lot of questions to be answered in later books. It was nice getting to know Chloe, Derek, Simon and Tori. But I want to know what happens next for them all. I recommend reading this trilogy for the great characters and interesting world. 


Favorite Quote:
"You were just worried about me."


An exhale, relieved that I understood, "Yeah."


I turned. "Because you think I'm worth it."


He put his fingers under my chin. "I absolutely think you are worth it."


"But you don't think you are."


His mouth opened. Shut.


"That's what this is about, Derek. You won't let us worry about you because you don't think you're worth it. But I do. I absolutely do."
I bought this one for my Kindle at Amazon. You can get it in multiple formats at Amazon too.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this trilogy. True there are still unanswered questions, but it was still pretty amazing! I thought Kelley said she'd get back to these guys somewhere down the line, but I can't recall...

    Glad you liked it! Be sure to check out her new YA trilogy too! Although The Gathering leaves you even more questions at its end! So read at your own risk! ;)

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read it yet, but I definitely will soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!