Thursday, June 9, 2011

Review: The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

The Summoning
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publication: HarperCollins; 1st Printing edition (July 1, 2008)


Description: My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.


All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost—and the ghost saw me.


Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House . . . before its skeletons come back to haunt me.


My Thoughts: Chloe sees ghosts. Well, she did see ghosts when she was a small child but not lately. After her mother died in a car accident, her father began moving them from new apartment to new apartment which he flipped. But now her father travels a lot and Chloe is left in the care of a housekeeper and her Aunt Lauren.


When she is fifteen and puberty hits, she begins seeing ghosts again. Naturally she thinks she is losing her mind. She is sent to Lyle House where she is told that she has schizophrenia and medicated. But the ghosts don't go away. It doesn't help that the other kids at Lyle House also have some strange powers. Simon can levitate small objects, Derek is there because he is very strong and sometimes violent. Rae has a fascination with fire. Liz thinks she has attracted a poltergeist. Chloe learns from the boys that she is a necromancer.


Chloe has to sort out who to believe and decide what it means for her life. She is pretty sure that she can't trust the staff at Lyle House. She, Rae, Simon and Derek decided to run away. Simon is searching for his father who has disappeared.

I liked most of the characters in this one. Chloe was confused and frightened by her new powers but she was still smart and caring. Simon was a nice guy who was very concerned for his brother Derek. Derek looked frightening with his large, powerful size and his bad case of acne but he was also bright and cared deeply for Simon and anyone else weaker than he. The bad girl was Tori. Her mother is on the board of directors of Lyle House and Tori is a typical bad girl. However, even she is a sympathetic character. Chloe overhears her being verbally abused by her mother.

This was a fine introduction to the world of the Otherworld. It was nice to see how someone who had never heard of it reacted to it. I will be eager to read The Awakening and The Reckoning to find out what further adventures await Chloe, Rae, Simon and Derek.


Favorite Quote:
I almost laughed. It was like something out of a comic book. Kids with supernatural powers, like superheroes. Superheroes? Right. Somehow, I didn't think seeing ghosts and levitating basketballs was going to help us save the world from evil anytime soon.
I bought this one for my Kindle. You can get it in print or for the Kindle at Amazon too.

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved this trilogy! Really I love anything Kelley Armstrong!!

    Jess@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this trilogy! Very fun and unique.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!