Wednesday, August 24, 2011

ARC Review: Guys Read: Thriller by Jon Scieszka

Guys Read: Thriller
Editor: Jon Scieszka
Publication: Walden Pond Press (September 20, 2011)


Description: A body on the tracks


A teenage terrorist

A mysterious wish-granting machine

The world’s worst private detective

The second volume in the Guys Read Library of Great Reading is chock-full of mystery, intrigue, and nefarious activity. Featuring some of the best writers around, and compiled by certified guy Jon Scieszka, Guys Read: Thriller is a pulse-pounding collection of brand-new short stories, each one guaranteed to keep you riveted until the final page.




My Thoughts: This was a very entertaining anthology with stories from some of the hot authors for middle graders. I liked the variety of moods of the story from humorous to spine-chilling. Though maybe the spine-chilling was a personal reaction since I really, really hate snakes (The Snake Mafia by Gennifer Choldenko). 


I also liked the variety of ethnicities and locations for the stories. I will admit that my favorite story was The Double Eagle Has Landed by Anthony Horowitz. I loved the humor in this story about the world's worst detective and his younger, smarter brother. It makes me want to read the other stories about the Diamond brothers that I have in my media center.


Some of the authors included are M. T. Anderson, Walter Dean Myers, Margaret Peterson Haddix, James Patterson, and Gennifer Choldenko. All of the authors in the anthology are already represented in my media centers. I can just see the display with this book as the centerpiece surrounded by the authors' other work.


This one will definitely find a place in both my elementary and middle school media centers. 


Favorite Quote:
And of course, I was the only person in the school who hadn't gotten a new Xbox or a new iPhone or any other expensive gadget with a letter in front of it. Tim wouldn't even have been able to afford a new Tcup, and although Mum and Dad had sent me a card from Sydney (Santa surfing at Bondi Beach), they'd forgotten to enclose the book token or, better still, the check.
I received this eARC from NetGalley for review. You can get your copy here.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this book and wondered if it might be something that will get my boy reading again. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this would be a great add to my classroom library. I didn't realize it was at Netgalley. I'll have to request it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!