Friday, August 5, 2011

Book Beginning & Friday 56: Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 
Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 
If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

The Friday 56
Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


I recently received and just had to read Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede. It is the sequel to The Thirteenth Child which I also read and loved. Here is the description:
From New York Times #1 bestselling author Patricia C. Wrede, the second in the series of magic on the western frontier.

Eff is an unlucky thirteenth child - her twin brother, Lan, is a powerful seventh son of a seventh son. And yet, Eff is the one who saved the day for the settlements west of the Great Barrier. Her unique ways of doing magic and seeing the world, and her fascination with the magical creatures and land in the Great Plains push Eff to work toward joining an expedition heading west. But things are changing on the frontier.

There are new professors of magic for Eff and Lan to learn to work with. There's tension between William and his father. And there are new threats on the frontier and at home. To help, Eff must travel beyond the Barrier, and come to terms with her magical abilities--and those of her brother, to stop the newest threat encroaching on the settlers.


With wit, magic, and a touch of good pioneer sense, Patricia C. Wrede weaves a fantastic tale of the very wild west.
Beginning:
Being a heroine is nowhere near the fun folks make it out to be.
Friday 56:
I'd started practicing the standard Avrupan calming spell as soon as I realized I was going to need it, so I was pretty sure I could do that part. What troubled me was whether I could  keep it going when we passed through the Barrier Spell.
Besides having an intriguing storyline, the book jacket itself is one of the most attractive that I have seen in a while. The book is just gorgeous! It is a much better cover than The Thirteenth Child.

6 comments:

  1. Luv the beginning. The Friday 56 excites me too. Would like to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great beginning! And true. Heroines have to got through a lot.

    Here's my Friday memes: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/08/friday-memes.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo, the beginning sentence really grabs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    This sounds so good. I'll be putting this one my ever growing TBR list. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/friday-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could use that calming spell right about now too.... Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is it that I haven't heard of this series yet? Argh!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!