Friday, August 19, 2011

Book Beginning & Friday 56: The Marked Son by Shea Berkley

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages 
Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. 
If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

The Friday 56
Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Freda's Voice
  • Post a link along with your post back to Freda's Voice
Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.
I was recently sent The Marked Son by Shea Berkley to read for review. This is one of the first offerings from Entangled Publishing. Here is the product description:

Seventeen-year-old Dylan Kennedy always knew something was different about him, but until his mother abandoned him in the middle of Oregon with grandparents he's never met, he had no idea what.
When Dylan sees a girl in white in the woods behind his grandparents' farm, he knows he's seen her before in his dreams. He's felt her fear. Heard her insistence that only he can save her world from an evil lord who uses magic and fear to feed his greed for power.

Unable to shake the unearthly pull to Kera, Dylan takes her hand. Either he's completely insane or he's about to have the adventure of his life, because where they're going is full of creatures he's only read about in horror stories. Worse, the human blood in his veins has Dylan marked for death.
Beginning:
I was eight the first time I saw the girl.
Friday 56 (estimated on my Kindle): 
Before it could warn the others with its throaty grunt, Kera flipped her knife into her opposite hand and, in tow precise swipes, detached the creature's tail and head from its body.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Kera has a strong stomach.What kind of "creature" was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this book!
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kera sounds like a fiesty sorta girl! I like both of these excerpts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, you have piqued my curiosity. I will have to add this one to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!